Author Topic: Some questions about the ceiling mounted smoke detector.  (Read 2415 times)

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
Some questions about the ceiling mounted smoke detector.
« on: June 14, 2017, 01:26:43 AM »
I'm attaching pictures of my smoke detector that is on the ceiling near the kitchen. Recently, when cooking, it goes off (we have re-discovered nice crisp bacon goes with everything!) and just keeps screeching. (which is a good thing) I now know how to get the cover off, which stops the warning sound.
I don't know some things, and would appreciate comments by anyone in the know.

Where is the battery located? I could take it apart, but I'm afraid I might wreck it, and there probably is an easier way. What kind of battery is it? Perhaps one of those lithium ion models?

Does the screw that is on the back of the cover have to be in contact with something when I put the cover back on? If so, what?

Thanks for any help and suggestions.

Stan
P.S. I think you can click on the pictures to make them bigger.
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Some questions about the ceiling mounted smoke detector.
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 01:46:15 AM »
Stan,
Looks like part of the battery is shown in the first pix (copper color). There should be a "door" on the side of the unit that swings out and allows access to the battery.
Steve
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp
The following users thanked this post: Stan Simpson

Jim Edwards

• BAC Member
Re: Some questions about the ceiling mounted smoke detector.
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 11:48:16 AM »
Hi Stan, Another 05 Monterey owner!  A couple of things but without getting too in depth, smoke detectors look at the air an a chamber, as this chamber becomes dirty it will become more "sensitive" to smaller amounts of particulate in the air thus setting off an early alarm. Looking at the photos I see some dust on the covers. Also smoke detectors have limited useful life. The still may go off but not at the correct levels. I have not seen any with more that a ten year life. If they are original to the coach as mine were I would recommend that you replace them. Please note that not all smoke detectors are rated for RV use. I believe the RV rating is due to temperature ranges experienced in an RV vs a home but may be more. (vibration and moisture) Anyway I replaced mine with ones from Amazon. They are available for $14.25 ea. Fire is one the worst things that can happen to you in a coach. Also you might want to check your CO detector. Although mentioned in the Manual, My coach did not have one. Just an LP detector under the fridge, so I added 2, 1 in the bedroom and 1 next to the co pilot's seat. I don't know why My coach did not have one, it had LP Fridge and stove?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G65ZHQU/ref=oh_aui_bia_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Best Jim
Jim Edwards
2005 Monterey Laguna III, 40 ft Cat C9
2007 Country Coach Affinity 45 ft Cummins 600
15 Grand Cherokee
The following users thanked this post: Stan Simpson