Author Topic: Heat Ducts in Bays ?  (Read 11244 times)

LEAH DRAPER

Heat Ducts in Bays ?
« on: November 10, 2010, 02:25:50 PM »
Have a 2008 Contessa 38' and have been told that there is/are heat ducts into the bays, so that  when the furnace is running there is some heat directed there so things don't freeze up.  It got down to 21F last night, so I started the furnace and set it to 55 degrees.  
I haven't been able to spot the ducts in the bays. Anyone know for sure?

« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 04:49:11 PM by 14 »

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
Re: Heat Ducts in Bays ?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 04:03:43 PM »
I know that my Aladdin display has the compartment temp on the tank level display. It does heat the bays but I am not sure where the ducts are ether. Also the is a heat strip on the water lines. Mine plugs into a receptacle in one of the bays.
Larry Fisk
2005 Patriot Thunder 40 ft.
525 (C-13) CAT Engine

LarryNCarolynShirk

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 04:53:20 PM »
Most of the Beavers have a heat register, similar to the inside heat exchangers, located in the holding tank area.  It has a separate thermostat that turns on when needed, if your heater is set to turn on.

Larry

Bill Sprague

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 05:22:53 PM »
Quote from: LarryNCarolynShirk
Most of the Beavers have a heat register, similar to the inside heat exchangers, located in the holding tank area.  It has a separate thermostat....
Larry is correct.  Further, the storage bay floor is insulated a little and the floor of the living area is less insulated.  So, some heat from the living area escapes into the area where the fresh water tank is located.  

I tested it all in a South Dakota blizzard a few years ago.  At 15 degrees with 50 mile winds, it all worked.

For storage I leave it plugged in to a 30 amp outlet, turn the Hydro Hot electric on and set both thermostats to 50.  So far it has worked in the Seattle area fine.  The risks are that the electricity could fail, the Hydro Hot element could fail or the tank bay heat exchanger could fail. Therefore, when below freezing I drive to and visit the Beaver frequently.    

« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 10:56:06 PM by 14 »

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 06:22:04 PM »
That is great information. I did not realize there was a thermostat in the bay area. I'll have to check that out. We are so happy to be part of the Beaver family.
Larry Fisk
2005 Patriot Thunder 40 ft.
525 (C-13) CAT Engine

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010, 08:50:12 PM »
Leah and Larry-

On our coach the water tank is in the same bay as the HydroHot, so I assume that ambient heat in there keeps that tank safe, though as Bill points out, only as long as the hydronic system is on and working.  The only bay that has an obvious heat exchanger is the waste tank bay.  I've found that many new owners haven't discovered that bay, mainly because it doesn't have a regular hand latch, and they didn't receive an adequate orientation from the seller.

The waste tank bay on our rig is directly in front of the passenger side rear wheels, and is held closed by two nearly hidden swing-clasp latches underneath, along the front edge.  The bay door looks like a body panel, but it actually is hinged and swings up when unlatched underneath.  Inside are the gray and black water tanks, the solar control module, an array of Aladdin modules, and a myriad of associated tubes and wires.  Extending into the bay on the forward wall, from the adjoining storage bay, is a white plastic box containing the water pump and associated fittings;  the pump is only accessible, however, by removing a carpeted access panel in that adjoining bay.  The white box extends into the waste tank bay so that its contents can be kept from freezing by the heat exchanger, which is readily visible mounted to the waste tank bay's ceiling.  

A thermosensor rod is mounted to a plywood frame, center front in the bay, and it monitors the bay temp., turning the bay exchanger on at I believe a factory preset temp.  Also protected in the plywood frame is the Aladdin temperature and compass module.  Since the bay is unlit, I velcroed a small Maglight flashlight on the frame so I could see in there at night.  Because the bay door doesn't require a key to open, I also mounted a fire extinguisher in there;  I don't want to be looking for keys if there's a fire.

When the temp. outside starts hugging the 32 mark, I go out to the coach, plug it in to our home's 110v 30 amp RV outlet (the rig's batteries normally stay charged by solar only), turn its master switches back on, flip on the HydroHot electric switch, and set the living room thermostat at 45-50.  Sometimes I kick on the diesel burner temporarily to get a faster heat-up.  Our coach has an ice-maker in its Dometic refrigerator/freezer, and that's the only place I know of that has heat tape, to protect its water supply apparatus on the back of the refer.  Like Bill, I regularly monitor the coach during such cold spells, but it's easier for me since the rig is parked next to our home.  If the HydroHot failed, I could configure small electric heaters, light bulbs, or some other temporary emergency heat source.  

Because I blow out my lines to winterize things, rather than use antifreeze in the lines, the steps I mention above are only as extra insurance, and mostly to protect the HydroHot tubes themselves;  drained tanks, blown out water lines and icemaker valves, and antifreeze in the washing machine and drain traps - that would be enough in a motor home with a water heater and furnace.  But it's easy to turn on the HydroHot electric side to protect the HydroHot internal loops themselves, and doing so is added insurance for the rest of the rig as well, albeit overkill in some regards.  It's cheap insurance against very expensive hydronics repair.  Granted, the best option would be to pump RV anitfreeze through everything, but in 26 years I've not gone that route.  Yet.

-Joel    
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 09:07:11 PM by 77 »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Jim Gill

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2010, 09:42:44 PM »
On a 2006 Monterey, can the electric element in the Aqua Hot system generate enough heat to keep the coach warm in the 20-30 degree outside ambient range? I leave the coach parked in Arizona for the winter and live in Colorado so neither checking in on it regularly nor leaving the diesel burner turned on for 2-3 weeks at a time bewteen visits makes good sense.  If I set the thermostats at 45-50 degress with the diesel burner turned on, will the burner only light up when the temp drops to this level?
Thanks for any thoughts.
Jim  

LEAH DRAPER

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2010, 10:11:16 PM »
 "can the electric element in the Aqua Hot system generate enough heat to keep the coach warm in the 20-30 degree outside ambient range?"

I'd like to know the answer to this also, as I don't relish burning up my diesel, BUT,  don't want to take any chances until I can get out of NM and winter in AZ.

Bill Sprague

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2010, 11:23:33 PM »
Quote from: Jim Gill
....can the electric element in the Aqua Hot system generate enough heat to keep the coach warm in the 20-30 degree outside ambient range?  
Electric alone won't keep it warm enough to live in.  But it will probably keep it from freezing.  

I don't winterize with fluid because I like to be able to use the MH spontaneously.  Where I live it is rare that it gets below 30 for very long.  If it does, I will turn on the diesel.

My guess is that the only way you are going to know for sure what the electric only will do is keep track.  You will need a thermometer with at least two sensors that remembers the high and the low.  Set the thermostat for 50.  Keep track and take notes.  

I think you will find that the electric alone will keep the coach near 70 when the outside dips to around 45.  But as you get closer to freezing the difference may only be about 10 degrees.  And, less if the wind is blowing.  

If you know you will have freezing temperatures and can't monitor your MH, I don't think you have a choice but to use the fluid.  Winterize the washer dryer and ice maker as per their instructions.  You can leave them alone all winter.  Isolate them from the entire  system.  Then set up, or have someone set up, valves so you can easily suck the antifreeze fluid from a 5 gallon jug.  Once set up you can do it in 10 minutes if you don't have to fiddle with the washer/dryer or ice maker.  

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2010, 01:42:25 AM »
I'd have to agree with Bill.  Leah, though our coach interior and bays stay above 40 on electric-powered hydronics when the outside temp has gone to 20 at times, the fact that I am there to monitor things is my fail-safe.  If I was leaving the rig some distance away for months, or even a day or two, I'd definitely forego leaving it plugged in for anything other than keeping the batteries charged.  I would not put any bets down, at the cost of tank or AquaHot repairs, that the AquaHot or HydroHot will not malfunction sometime during storage.  You could put a small box heater or two inside, but suppose power went out or a circuit breaker blew.  Nor would I want to pay for the diesel used if I left it on.  That would also run down your fuel tank, leaving an airspace over the diesel that holds air that can condense out, putting the dreaded water demon into play.  

If you're storing your rig in an area subject to freezing, and don't have daily access, top off your tank, plug in for the batterys' sake, and winterize your coach with Camco RV Antifreeze as per commonly available instructions.  Like Bill, I don't like the idea of getting the antifreeze out if I suddenly opt to, say, run to the beach for several days.  But in Jim's case, without question I'd be safe and fully winterize with the fluid.

-Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

marty christensen

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2010, 03:09:12 PM »
Leah, I also have a 08 Contessa and by going into the plumbing bay by way of the access panel in the storage bay, I see my water pump and central water filter straight on.  If I look to the right I see the heat register to keep the plumbing area from freezing.  The thermostat for this register is hanging from above just intside the plumbing bay 6" from the access panel.  The thermostat is round, about the size of a quarter and is factory set to go on at 45 degrees.

I have a 07 Contessa manual with my coach and it does show a picture of the thermostat in there.

Joel is correct that the water tank is kept warm from the heat the aqua hot produces being turned on since the two share the same bay.

Marty
08 Contessa,   400hp

LEAH DRAPER

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2010, 03:15:09 PM »
Marty...
Thank you, have a question though, I take it you have to remove the stainless steel panel after you open the bay door?
Leah

marty christensen

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2010, 03:37:56 PM »
Leah, no, I am referring to access through the storage bay adjacent to the plumbing bay.  Starting from the front of the coach, the first bay is aqua hot and water tank bay.  The next bay is for storage and probably has a slide out tray.  The third bay is also storage and inside this bay there is an access panel attached by 2 screws leading into the next bay which is the inside of bay 4 your plumbing bay.  This panel accesses maintenance for your water pump, whole house water filter, by pass valves for winterizing and and the back of your SS plumbing bay panel.

Marty
08 Contessa C9

LEAH DRAPER

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2010, 05:44:30 PM »
Marty
Thanks again, I was in the wrong bay.....got it now.
Leah

John Harris

• BAC Member
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2010, 02:11:17 AM »
What about coaches that do not have the aqua-hot? Ours just has a propane furnace for heating the living area. Is our bays heated?
1999 Monterey  30 ft. Trinidad 3126b<br />Toad = 1999 Jeep Wrangler 2 door hardtop