Author Topic: Added Batteries  (Read 3971 times)

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Added Batteries
« on: June 18, 2017, 08:12:23 PM »
Finally got to adding 2 more batteries (had to wait for the hottest week so far this summer). Started by removing the propane tank after emptying it. (Gauge still says 2/3 full). I used angle iron for the battery tray and a steel sheet for the “floor”. The tray will accept 2 more batteries but I doubt I’ll need them. I purposely left space on either side of the “floor” for air circulation as I’ll also have a propane bottle in the bay to run our outside grill and fire pit. Once everything was “fitted” I removed it and primed/painted. Following Ed Buker’s suggestion, I put stair tread on the base of the battery tray to prevent the batteries from sliding. The toughest task was running the cable from the existing battery bay behind the tag to the bay in front of the rear wheels. Running the coach up on 3 ½” ramps helped give me room to maneuver but it still took a couple hours with the aid of some hanger wire to fish/guide the cable and protective sleeve through the cable runs up against the floor. I hooked the ground cable to the framework in the new bay. I added carpet to the small storage area between the batteries and propane tank. Adjusted the amp hour capacity on the inverter and done.
I got the batteries at Costco (210 amps – 20 hr Interstates) for ~$85. The attendant said they get them from Trojan. They don’t have the same specs as T105s but are as heavy. We’ll see how well they do. Now to remember those 2 extra batteries when I check water levels. :)
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp
The following users thanked this post: Keith Moffett, Bryan Beamon, Karl Welhart, Stan Simpson, Fred Brooks

Edward Buker

Re: Added Batteries
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 02:49:16 PM »
Steve,

Really nice job and the extra battery capacity, if nothing else, will allow some extra years of service by reducing the bank discharge level and as the batteries age and lose capacity you will have the extra reserve capacity to get the job done.

Regarding the stair tread material, I also used some plastic material to shim and limit the battery movement in the tray. I was a little concerned because of the aggressive grit of the stair tread material, that they could "sand" the plastic battery case through over time if the battery could move back and forth on the heavy grit material. This is probably a case of I worry too much and with shimming I saw no wear on the battery case over time...

The reason I use that stick on tape tread material was really to protect the paint. I think the batteries vibrate and move enough, that with dirt and grit in there, they wear away the paint and then the fumes corrode the metal. With the refinish and the 3M tread tape I had no problems with corrosion in the tray after that refinish.

Again, great project Steve.

Later Ed

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 04:22:37 PM »
You did a nice job Steve, I was able to add 2 batteries to our existing tray, I have been thinking about removing our large tank up front for added storage. With the Cat 525 I needed the extra AMP's for starting the 4 battery chassis allows a much better start kick.

Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13
The following users thanked this post: Keith Moffett

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 10:48:38 PM »
Jerry,
Thanks.  Once the tank is empty it comes out fairly easily. I used an auto jack to lift it and then got one end braced on the front bay bar and slid it out. Setting it on a couple of small furniture movers made it easy to move away from the coach. Now to see if I can find a buyer for it...
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp