Author Topic: Alternator  (Read 4664 times)

D. Wendal Attig

Alternator
« on: June 12, 2017, 04:51:08 AM »
It would appear that we will need to replace the alternator on our 2002 Patriot Monticello before we can continue our current relocation to Colorado.  Just west of Topeka, KS this morning, the voltmeter indicated less than 4 volts, transmission would not shift above 4 and the Silverleaf display kept coming and going. Top speed at 2000 rpms was about 45mph, though the transmission and engine coolant registered well within the operating zones. We limped into Manhattan, KS, and spent the day replacing the ignition solenoid (twice). After the initial replacement, even with a 4000 AMP jump assist, and a reading on the coach batteries of between 12 and 13 VDC, starting it again was not  happening.  Following the second solenoid replacement, the coach started right up and ran for about 15 minutes at idle, with no active faults. The silverleaf display went black, and voltage measured at the coach batteries was 6-10 vdc.

I see all kinds of prices here on the forum as well as preferences. Is it possible to get a rebuilt alternator for around $150? plus installation? If so what brand and where to find these cheaply?

Thanks,
D. Wendal Attig

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
Re: Alternator
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 06:31:40 AM »
A brand new Lease Neville alternator on a 3126 B Cat cost us $750 plus labor 7 years ago.  It failed in two months and was found at fault on tear down.  No joy from the mfgr.
Good news was a shop rebuilt that unit for $250 including labor.  Look into anew electrical shop or a truck shop.

Good luck
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

D. Wendal Attig

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 02:50:51 PM »
thanks Keith,   :(Still looking for brand or source information. I am sitting in an Autozone parking lot, with an O'Reilly's across the street. They might have what I need, if I had a brand, part number or other info. Any help would be appreciated.

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 04:16:31 PM »
I'm pretty sure it is a Leece-Neville 160 amp alternator. The 99 Beavers used a BLHA2070VE but not sure if that model is used in your 02. Suggest you call Ken at BCS for more info.
Sounds like your chassis batteries might be bad also if they are loosing charge as fast as you noted (you stated coach batteries but I assume you were referring to the chassis and not the house batteries).
Steve
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Gerald Farris

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 05:05:51 AM »
Wendal,
I do not think that you will find a Leece Neville Duvac alternator to fit your coach at AutoZone. However, any large automotive electrical shop can rebuild yours for about $250 normally or you can get an aftermarket replacement new from Amazon or EBay for about the same price. https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=160+AMP+DUVAC

Gerald

D. Wendal Attig

Re: Alternator Update
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2017, 04:26:21 PM »
Thanks for your feedback.   Don't know if we have made any progress at all, but here's an update:

Discovered some loose battery connections on the chassis batteries yesterday. (They were serviced just a month ago, and have not produced any symptoms in over 1500 miles)  So I pulled both chassis batteries and Auto-zone put a full charge on them and confirmed that no cells were deficient. Coach started right up, showing about 11.4 to 11.7vdc on the Silverleaf. This voltage remained fairly steady for the next hour, so it appeared that the alternator was at least not allowing the voltage to decrease, though it was suggested that if we would drive for 30-minutes or so, it would probably reach the desired 13.4vdc. We turned the coach ignition off and started the generator, which ran for a time, but stopped. By then, we attached the tow-car and departed our Autozone parking lot haven. Within a mile, the lights began dimming, and by the time we exited a mile later, the lights were useless for driving (dark by now) and upon pulling into a Target  plaza, the transmission refused to shift. We coasted clear of traffic, let the engine run until the voltage registered above 11.4 again, and made it to a safe spot with tow-truck access/egress clearance.

Spent some time in the Prosine 2.0 2000 Watt inverter manual this morning, started the generator (which has now been running consistently for 4 hours+, and set the Prosine for Inverter to AC In, and the Charger to Charging. Initially it was charging at 11.2 V DC - 98 Amps, but at this point has 14 V DC and is now charging at only 38 Amps, which leads me to believe that either or both battery banks are in better shape, but not sure enough to chance another run  to find out. 

So my questions now:
1) Which battery bank(s) are likely responding to the Prosine?
2) Does it still point to an Alternator issue?
3) Would the auto-electric/alternator rebuild solution be better than a Caterpillar service center for this issue?

Thanks
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 05:26:28 PM by D. Wendal Attig »

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2017, 05:00:33 PM »
In answer to

1) Your Prosine 2.0 inverter/charger first charges your house batteries.  Depending upon which system you have, an Echo or BIRD system, it will allow the charging current to crossover to the chassis batteries.  From what I have read here in the Forum over the past several years, both the Echo and BIRD systems work about the same - not exactly the same, but from our novice viewpoint they work about the same.  Alternatively, your engine's alternator first charges the chassis batteries, then the Echo/BIRD system allows the charging current to crossover to the house batteries.

2) It sounds like your generator is charging the batteries through the Prosine inverter/charger.  You do not say, or cannot determine, which battery bank (house only or both house and chassis) is getting charged.  Thus, I cannot express an opinion if your Echo/BIRD system is working properly.  Have you tried running the generator while you are traveling.  If the alternator is a problem, then running the generator while traveling, and assuming the Echo/BIRD system is working properly, then you could probably drive to a repair shop where a technician could check the alternator output.

3) When my alternator died I had Eagle Freightliner install a new one.  I still have the old alternator and should get it rebuilt for that inevitable day when it's needed.  Eagle Freightliner has a truck shop with ten bays or so and is located near my residence.

Others here will chime in with their opinions of your issues... and probably their opinions of my opinions.  lol  But that's okay.  That's how we learn.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Gerald Farris

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2017, 05:11:08 PM »
Wendal,
Your symptoms indicate that there is a 98% chance that your trouble is caused by a defective engine alternator.

Most Cat service departments send alternator repairs out to automotive electrical service facilities, so you would be better off by just cutting out the middle man and going straight to the electrical shop if you can replace the alternator yourself.

Your Prosine inverter charges the coach batteries only on your coach unless there has been an Echo Charger added. But you can attach a jumper between the battery banks to allow the inverter to charge both battery banks when the generator is running. This jumper will allow you to drive as long as you want if the generator is running. If you want to discuss the issue just call me at 713-254-4156.

Gerald

« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 05:17:45 PM by Gerald Farris »

Bruce Sieloff

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2017, 05:37:25 PM »
Good advice here. We had a similar problem and removed the alternator and had it rebuilt while sitting in an RV park. They had to order out the rectifier so it took a day and a half, otherwise it was a $175 same day service. Alternator still running strong.Rebuild included bearings, rectifier and whatever mysterious bits were needed; came back like new. All I needed to remove the alternator was a 3/8' Breaker bar to release tension on the belt and an 18mm socket for the bolts holding the alternator in and a 1/4' socket set for the aft connections. If you feel confident it is really a no biggie, the hardest part was getting the rust stricken bolts out and the using a bit of antiseize lube to make sure next time would be easier. It looks more intimidating than it is.
The following users thanked this post: Bob Stone

D. Wendal Attig

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2017, 07:10:10 PM »
Thanks Gerald. It worked! Got us back on the road, and we're back in Colorado for the remainder of summer. There will be time to replace the generator while we're on shore power. As always, I appreciate your experience and your input. Thanks Again!!!