Author Topic: Girard Awning problem  (Read 9609 times)

John Harris

• BAC Member
Girard Awning problem
« on: November 23, 2010, 10:45:29 PM »
I just hit the open button to put out the awning, and the front section of the awning didn't move, but the last two thirds sections did came out about 18 inches. Both the arms and the fabric unrolled. It seems like the front latch didn't open as the front section is still all the way in....... Any ideas what to do?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 03:34:50 AM by 14 »
1999 Monterey  30 ft. Trinidad 3126b<br />Toad = 1999 Jeep Wrangler 2 door hardtop

Marty and Suzie Schenck

Re: Girard Awning problem
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 03:24:20 AM »
There are no latches on a Girard awning. It sounds like the front arms internal spring has broken. Without the front spring pushing out, that 20 foot carrier could bind and catch at the front. I speak from experience. Girard replaced my arm free of charge and the problem was solved. Marty

John Harris

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2010, 05:23:27 AM »
Thanks for the info... We did manage to get the awning put back away and I'll have Girard look at it in January on our way to Indio.
1999 Monterey  30 ft. Trinidad 3126b<br />Toad = 1999 Jeep Wrangler 2 door hardtop

John Harris

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 06:47:20 PM »
After a RV repair person come out and looked at our awning, he told me that the problem was that the awning should not be extended part way and retracting it as I was doing. The awning can be extended part way, but it should be extended all the way out before it is retracted close to the square up the fabric on the roller. This makes sense as I was extending it out about 3 or 4 feet and then retracting it from there. Just thought I would pass this along in case anyone else has the same problem.

Edward Buker

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 09:53:56 PM »
Anyone else heard of this issue with a Girard awning? I have been extending ours out part way to shade sun coming into the windows and then retracting it from the partially out position. What is the correct operation and would this type of use cause this problem?

later Ed

Tom and Pat Fudale

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 11:22:00 PM »
I had a 98 Patriot with a Girard awning that was recessed and although I faithfully caulked around it I  could not stop the water leaks and eventually the leaks caused the sidewall to delaminate. So beware and have the whole awning removed and resealed.

Marty and Suzie Schenck

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 12:48:10 AM »
On my 1998 Monterey that had the  recessed Girard "SUN SHADE" (really not an awning) I was told not to completely seal it by the Girard rep. The water that does get in there needs a place to excape. Mine leaked down the inside wall as well. After I cleaned out all the sealant that had been applied all the way around the main housing of the unit, I just sealed the front vertical part and then the full length on top. That is what the rep told me to do on that type of installation. I owned that coach for another 2.5 years and it never leaked.
Marty

Donald Lucke

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2010, 01:15:49 AM »
We had a leak in the same area and it proved to be a melted spot on the door side lens. The water came out at the inside of the window and ran down the cabinet by the passenger seat