Author Topic: HELP - How do I bypass trans air pressure lock?  (Read 7613 times)

Larry Fritz

• BAC Member
  • 98 Patriot Ticonderoga - 37' Blue/White, 3126B CAT
HELP - How do I bypass trans air pressure lock?
« on: November 26, 2010, 05:13:21 AM »
Stalled on I80 east of Cheyenne, Wy in the major cold wave. Coach needs to be towed to a indoor warmer repair facility; but, lack of air pressure is preventing the yellow transmission lock from staying engaged. What must we connect or disconnect or bypass so we can tow with rear wheels down?  98 Beaver Patriot with Allison World Trans.

All ideas welcome. Call me if you can: (408) 515-5957 cell. It's only a few degrees above zero out here and 40 mph winds!

All replies to this site will be welcome as well.

Will a huge tow truck pick me up from rear duals safely?  If so, what do I need to watch for?
Larry Fritz

Ron Johnson

Re: HELP - How do I bypass trans air pressure lock?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 06:43:56 AM »
Sorry to hear about your trouble. I am not the expert on this but I believe the the tow truck will tap into your air system through your extra air coupling. Mine is located on the passenger side in the rear maintenance compartment. Hopefully they will send a big flatbed your rig can fit on. If they have to tow with your rear wheels rolling they will still have to air your system to relaease the brakes plus disconnect your driveshaft. I would prefer the flatbed.

I hope everything works out OK.

Tom and Pam Brown

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010, 01:29:27 PM »
If the tow truck operator is worth his salt all he will do is release the springs in the air actuator.
this is done with the bolt in the center of the acutator.
should not be a big issue at all.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010, 01:58:51 AM »
I know this is too late to help, as I didn't log onto the thread until this evening.  But the guys are correct in that as long as the your road club and/or tow company knows the size of your rig, they should send a large enough truck, which will have an experienced driver.  The driver will connect a line from his truck to your remote air outlet, and can pressurize your system that way for towing.  

When our present coach had to be towed in 2007, the driver had a problem removing the driveline.  I called Loren in Bend at BCS, and gave the cell phone to the driver under the coach (in the rain).  Loren talked him through it.  No problem.  Keep that in mind for future situations like this.  The personnel in Bend are awesome.

Also, I got a great deal of assistance from CoachNet, free at the time from Monaco.  We finally let our 30 year AAA membership expire this year in favor of joining CoachNet, which offered more and cost less.  They not only call you a tow, they can put a technician on the line to help you diagnose things, and possibly talk you through a repair yourself, or at least help you fully understand what you are up against.  If you aren't already a member, I highly recommend that you consider it, Larry, esp. after this experience  ;).

When our rig was brand new in Oct. 2006, we were stopped for hours for an accident on I-80 west of Rawlins, WY, when a storm we were trying to outrun caught up with us.  By the time we got to Rawlins there was a foot of snow and blizzard conditions, all subzero.  What a nightmare for greenhorns to large diesel rigs.  So we sympathize with your situation.  Be sure to tell us how things turn out for you.

-Joel  
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 03:20:38 AM by 77 »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Larry Fritz

• BAC Member
  • 98 Patriot Ticonderoga - 37' Blue/White, 3126B CAT
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 02:08:36 AM »
OK, I really want to thank all of you for the suggestions and ideas. I love the BAC people. Our situation was not really straightforward so will try to explain a bit more and the results.  First, the temp outside was about 20 degrees with a wind chill of well below zero degrees. Second, I now know that I likely had moisture in the air system even though I drain the tanks frequently. Third, Even Allison has confirmed that when it gets cold to these temperatures that you may need to hold down the yellow parking brake control for 3 to 4 seconds to get it to engage! (this was a clue and when tried it did indeed work). Fourth, with the apparent moisture in my air lines the gauge readings were really screwed up and nearly useless to me to solve the problem. Fifth, the moisture problem likely polished off my air leveling valve.
SO, after finally getting the trans parking brake to release and go into gear, I think that problem was due mostly to the cold. Now, I still had the bad air leveling valve.  Turned the motorhome around in the I80 median and drove 5 miles further to a SAPP truck repair station that happened to be open on Thanksgiving weekend. (Tires were rubbing the top cover of the wheel wells on driver side). Drove 30mpg with Dinghy following me. Replaced air level valve, added a quart of air level valve lubricant (mostly alcohol) and am on my way. We are now across Wyoming and it ran fine all day.  Thanks again to all for e-mail, phone calls, and BAC replies.

Larry Fritz
98 Beaver Patriot
Larry Fritz

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2010, 03:30:44 AM »
Air Level Valve Lubricant... that's a new one to me.  And why isn't Larry's air heater/dryer system conditioning his air better, even when he's purging it regularly?

Any ideas fellas?  ::)
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Gerald Farris

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2010, 04:27:01 AM »
I called Larry to try to help with the situation and he informed that his Patriot was not equipped with an air dryer. Some of the 96 to 98 Monterey and Patriot coaches did not come with dryers. They were equipped with hydraulic brakes and used much less air than a coach with air brakes, therefore Beaver left the air dryer off as a cost saving measure.

The air valve lubricant that Larry referred to is mostly alcohol to melt the ice and blend with the water to purge it from the system. It is used in trucks (esp. trailer air lines) in severe cold to prevent ice in air lines and brake lock-up.

Gerald
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 04:37:24 AM by 235 »

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2010, 08:44:47 PM »
Our 1997 Patriot has a Midland Grau Air Dryer Gerald. It also shows as standard in the owners manual?