Author Topic: What years & models of Monoco coaches to avoid  (Read 6304 times)

Jim Kaiser

What years & models of Monoco coaches to avoid
« on: August 04, 2017, 01:28:35 AM »
Hi All,
We are shopping for an older RV .... 2003 - 2007
I remember someone stating there are certain years to avoid after Monaco took over. If anyone has any in put it would be appreciated. Or if there is somewhere I can see repairs averages of those years to compare. We have a much older monterey (1996) which has been a great coach so like the Beaver brand but want something with slides. Also... will we lose a lot of storage underneath with a newer coach. A couple we have looked at with the central air... have way less storage underneath than what we have with the roof AC. 
Thanks,
Arlis Kaiser
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 10:21:50 AM by Carol Moffett »

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
Re: what years & models of Monocal coaches to avoid
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2017, 02:56:32 AM »
I looked at the used (Beaver) inventory at BCS a few days ago.  They have a consigned 07 thunder that is listed at 20K less than a couple months ago.  We have been in that coach and it is awsome.  The paint has some orange peal but it is common on coaches.  Every coach we have had required repairs.  We sure enjoy this (Monaco) Beaver.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 06:06:09 PM by Steve Huber Co-Admin »
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Dan Murphy

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2017, 05:51:28 PM »
Jim

I would avoid any Monaco branded coach built after 2007 that might have a Caterpillar C9-425hp engine. The Diesel Particulate Filter or afterburner system has some serious problems and many,many coaches have had numerous turbos installed since they were new.

There are several theories why the turbos fail but fail they do!

I have one and I am on the 3rd turbo now at 61000 miles.

This is not to say there are not problems on other engines that also have the DPF system but that 425hp C9 is notorious! I would not be tempted to ever have another no matter what the coach looked like or how it drove.

The 400hp C9 is a different engine and does not have the DPF system.You may find this engine in many pre 2008 Monaco branded coaches.

We love our Beaver but it has been expensive  to maintain.
The following users thanked this post: Larry Fritz

Bill Sprague

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 02:03:05 AM »
I've been watching this topic with an ethical dilemma. 

We loved our 12 year, 123,000 mile adventure in our '04 Monterey. 

On the other hand, it was far from being well built.  As near as we can tell, it was built in Bend during the summer of '03.  It was our first motorhome and, when we bought it, we knew nothing about motorhomes.   Our experience with RVs was limited to a couple Terry trailers. 

My theory is that it was a "perfect storm".  Kay Toolsen was running Monaco and putting extreme pressure on Beaver in Bend to "get them delivered and out the door, no matter what."  Being summer, it could be that the best in the plant were on vacation and ours was built with the "second string".  Financing was cheap.  Demand was so high that anything "nice" would sell. 

The first surprise was that there was not a pound of "useful load".  The sticker said that there was room for about 2,000 pounds of room for our stuff.  Curious, I drove it over the scales a few days after we bought it.  The tanks were full and it weighed more than the 33,000 pound "legal" weight.  When I complained the salesman said, "It is common.  Lots of RVs are overweight.  Just have fun and use it."  We did!  It was always 5 to 10 percent overweight.  I later learned that Kay Toolsen would approve new axles if owners would promise not to tell anyone.

The rest of the story was a very thick file of warranty claims.  Monaco employees and various dealers worked hard to fix things and it took 18 months to get it to a point that we were comfortable. 

There was no shortage of loose screw, broken bolts and things that didn't work.  The front door, after several tries for adjustment, was never right.  All the slides leaked for lack of proper sealing.  The engine had a "special" exhaust manifold for motorhomes that failed.

Again, BJ and I had a wonderful travel experience.  But, quality control at Beaver in '03 still seems non existent.

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 07:01:42 PM »
We own a 2005 Patriot Thunder. Has it had issues? Absolutely, but show me a coach that hasn't.The important question is has it been well maintained and repairs completed as needed. I have a friend who keeps telling me it's time to upgrade our RV. It just happens to be the dealer who sold me the coach in 2009. My answer is why? The paint is in great shape and everything is working pretty well. All the major items have been maintained and/ or upgraded. Do I still have maintenance items on the list? Absolutely! I mentioned the HWH air compressor not functioning properly on this forum and my slide seals need replaced. But after 6 trips up the Alaska higway and back and 108,000 miles my wife and I are still very happy with it. Just my thoughts.
Larry Fisk
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 07:03:51 PM by Larry Fisk »
Larry Fisk
2005 Patriot Thunder 40 ft.
525 (C-13) CAT Engine

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 07:40:58 PM »
I feel the same as you Larry! We have an 01 Contessa, I have put a lot of labor and parts in our coach. But looking at new or newer ones and reading of all the issues that people are having I can't see moving to a newer coach. We only have 46000 miles on it and sure we put quite a few $$$$ into it, but with no monthly payments we are going to go full time next June. There are only about three brands I would buy if I was to get newer, and those are all out of my price range. Foretravel, Newell, or Prevost it would be.
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl
The following users thanked this post: Larry Fisk

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2017, 10:28:06 PM »
Arlis, like others note there aren't any of any brand without issues, as you know as a current owner.  But we count ourselves very lucky to have purchased in the time window that we did.  I often comment to Lee about that.  There are more things right than wrong with our "short" '06 Monterey, especially when I read what owners of other models and years complain of that just aren't issues with ours.

I'd stick in the 2005-2006 years and be diligent about how a prospective coach was maintained.  Look for the 400HP C9 engine option.  You won't lose storage to AC units.  Our shorter model has carrying capacity that we'll never come anywhere close to exceeding, although if we went full time I'd want a 40 footer;  then with more storage and less CCapacity I would have to watch the weight closer.  I'm not a fan of hydraulic leveling and would look for a rig like ours with air leveling only, for fewer headaches.

The only big problem now with ours is the blistering clear coat that won't be a cheap fix, although if I wasn't out of commission physically for awhile I might tackle it myself.  Rigs not stored indoors will have that deterioration regardless, but apparently Monaco fudged on the number of clear coats.  Aside from that it's been a nice rig overall, esp. after I had Henderson's upgrade some chassis components, and RV Outfitters updated our AV components.

Joel
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 10:38:32 PM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2017, 12:50:44 AM »
Jim,

Would probably look for coaches 05,6,7, I think that is the time period they went to flat panel tv's, our 06 Patriot Thunder has been great to travel in which we do 6 month of the year. Has all the storage you could as for, rides great and has more power than you need. Has everything except a dishwasher. Fuel mileage is not that good (5.5 to 6) but I didn't buy it for the mileage, have had minor problems mostly with the air leveling which I repaired myself with help from Stuart's HWH Service in Elkhart. I do all my own maintenance except for oil changes, 11 gals of black drain oil is too had to deal with. Haven't had to touch the C13 Cat or Allison World 4000 trans.
As a lot of folks have stated you buy for the floor plan and what do you really want and how much do you want to spend.
If you want to wait until Sept I'll sell you our PT as we are going to downsize.