Author Topic: Another Bedroom Slide Problem  (Read 3069 times)

Norm Green

• BAC Member
Another Bedroom Slide Problem
« on: August 06, 2017, 12:01:43 AM »
First, I want to thank those that replied to my previous problem post concerning my steps, I'll have to work on them after the Maritime rally.  I now have a new issue.  Pulled into the park today and my bedroom slide would not go out on our '08 Patriot.  This is the first issue I have had with it.  I crawled under the bed platform to take a look and when the extend button is pushed, I hear the motor run and the exposed shaft coming out of the assembly, the one that has a nut cover over the shaft, is turning but the gears to the bed mechanics are not.  I took the cover and pin off the assembly and nothing appears broken.  I have searched and read a lot on the forum I am still unsure where to start to look or what to test to determine what is wrong.  I suspect from what I have read that it is the brake mechanism.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Norm & Cynthia Green
Franklin, TN
2018 Entegra Cornerstone 45W
Previous, four different Beaver coaches

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
Re: Another Bedroom Slide Problem
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 01:11:49 AM »
I just had a similar but opposite problem a couple of months ago.  It is well documented on the forum.  My issue was that the slide would intermittently either not go in or out.  With help from the Forum I found that the shaft lock was sticking in the locked position.  The shaft on the motor was not turning when the button was activated because the "brake" was sticking in the locked position.  I took it off, Just 3 Phillips screws, drowned it in electronic parts cleaner and lubed with CRC silicone spray.  It has been working since.  I suppose your could be sticking in the unlocked position which would scare me that the slide may come out on it's own.  I would remove it, clean it and lube it to see what happens.  I'm no where close to an expert so just a guess but I hope it helps.
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2017, 01:12:47 AM »
I just had a similar but opposite problem a couple of months ago.  It is well documented on the forum.  My issue was that the slide would intermittently either not go in or out.  With help from the Forum I found that the shaft lock was sticking in the locked position.  The shaft on the motor was not turning when the button was activated because the "brake" was sticking in the locked position.  I took it off, Just 3 Phillips screws, drowned it in electronic parts cleaner and lubed with CRC silicone spray.  It has been working since.  I suppose yours could be sticking in the unlocked position which would scare me that the slide may come out on it's own.  I would remove it, clean it and lube it to see what happens.  I'm no where close to an expert so just a guess but I hope it helps.
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2017, 01:14:34 AM »
I have no idea what happened here!!  I just tried to correct a misspelled word!! 
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2017, 04:02:39 PM »
I have no idea what happened here!!  I just tried to correct a misspelled word!!

Jerry, after you do the correction, go to the bottom of the page, and click on SAVE.  :)
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad
The following users thanked this post: Jerry Emert

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2017, 11:07:19 PM »
My guess, Jerry, is you fat-fingered the "Quote" button that's right next to the "Modify" one.
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat
The following users thanked this post: Jerry Emert

Norm Green

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2017, 05:54:28 PM »
I believe that the slide brake that people refer to is located next to the slide motor.  I have a mechanism mounted next to the motor that has a shaft protruding out the front and the back of the enclosure that surrounds the "brake" and motor.  When I removed the front of the enclosure, I discovered that the shaft is not solid but is two separate shafts, the front one having a "key" end that fits into a slot on the second shaft.  This shaft also has a cap on to he front that has a 9/16 nut on it so I presume it can be moved manually.
To remove thie motor and the "brake., it appears that I would also have to remove the long shaft that comes out of the side of the enclosure on which is attached the gear that rons the long gear mounted on the underside of the bed.  The only wires in this mechanism are the two that go to the motor.  There are no other wires and I see no limit switches anywhere.
When I press the button to extend the bed, the motor whirls and so does the front half of the second shaft, but no bed movement.  I'm not sure what to check next or even how this mechanism is suppose to work.
Norm & Cynthia Green
Franklin, TN
2018 Entegra Cornerstone 45W
Previous, four different Beaver coaches