Author Topic: Fuel problems with my Onan 7.5KW Diesel generator  (Read 3555 times)

Thomas James

Fuel problems with my Onan 7.5KW Diesel generator
« on: August 06, 2017, 03:21:55 PM »
Hey guys, I'm in a bit of a bind here and I would like some info please..... We were working in our MH doing some upgrades to furniture/decor, and the Generator just shut off, and I couldn't get it re-started. It was not flashing a code(at that time). It sounded like a fuel problem. It wanted to start, but couldn't. I had just filled that monster up the day before, so I knew it wasn't that. And of course it was on a weekend and after 5PM(figures-right?). Anyway, I pulled the air cleaner off and sprayed a little carb/choke cleaner in there just to see if I could get it going. It did just for a couple of seconds, then died. Then it started flashing-three flash's, which means to service it(no kidding). OK, so I think I know where the fuel filter is. I'm at work now, so I'll have to look when I get home. But it's supposed to be on the bottom thru an access panel(I think). Now IF it's the fuel pump, where is THAT sucker located? Cause this thing is a pretty tight fit where it is, and there's no slide out. The Generator is a 2006 Onan 7500 Commercial Quiet generator. Thanks in advance for any help. Man, it seems that every turn there's something. It's Very frustrating.  :-\

Bill Sprague

Re: Fuel problems with my Onan 7.5KW Diesel generator
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 03:29:45 PM »
When that happened to us in our '04 Monterey it was how I had the controller programmed.  It was possible to have it auto start when the batteries were low and auto shutoff when the batteries were charged.  I had set it to shut down when the batteries reached 90%.  When plugged in, the inverter/charger would get the batteries to 100%.  That meant that the Onan would run and then quickly shut down. 

Good luck with your trouble shooting!

Thomas James

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2017, 03:39:02 PM »
Thanks for the reply Bill. But my Inverter is not the problem, since it's fried(Lol-sarcastically). I have a Magnum 2800 that I will eventually get to installing. Take a number and be seated-right?....I just hope the filter is all that is wrong.

Bill Sprague

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2017, 03:45:40 PM »
Changing the fuel filter is not hard, just potentially messy.  The most important part is that you don't cross thread the fittings when you put on the new one.  Because of access and design it is too easy to do that! 

Due to location, it is likely that you will get a little fuel flowing down your arms.  I liked to wrap rags around my wrists to "catch" the flow.  Plain old rubber bands would hold the rags in place long enough to get the old filter out. 

Thomas James

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2017, 04:23:09 PM »
Thanks a bunch Bill. I really appreciate it. IF I can get one today(not likely), then maybe I can get it going without too much trouble. Or....maybe I'll just work on getting my 50amp hookup going. I got the hot tub all drained. All that's left to do there is pull the wiring out of it and connect to a junction box, and tie it in to the wiring that I recently installed to my receptacle. Hopefully.....Anyway, thanks!

Roger Rempe

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2017, 05:35:53 PM »
Thomas, did you check the oil level?

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2017, 05:41:01 PM »
Another trick when unscrewing a fuel filter. Put a plastic sandwich bag over the filter. The kind that closes with pressure, like a zip-loc bag. When the filter comes off, the fuel will drip in to the bag, and you can just close the bag around the filter.
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Thomas James

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2017, 06:16:20 PM »
Yes Roger I did. The oil level is good(full). It's pretty black tho. I'll probably change it when all this is done.

Thomas James

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2017, 06:19:29 PM »
I'm still looking for the location of the fuel pump tho. There doesn't appear to be many videos or instructions on that. Prob because they want you to take it to the shop I would guess.

Thomas James

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2017, 02:08:08 AM »
OK-thanks everyone for the help. It WAS the fuel filter. AND, just FYI....If you're on the road and this happens, O'Reilly's Auto Parts carry's the Wix brand. I cross referenced it and the Wix number is 33063. Now that is from the Onan number of 149-2513. I think that's what all of the larger Onan's use tho. Anyway, thanks for all the help. See ya down the road. Later,