Author Topic: Magnum Opus Replacement?  (Read 4243 times)

Bob Bulot

Magnum Opus Replacement?
« on: August 03, 2017, 11:57:20 PM »
During this summer's wanderings, our electric Magnum Opus 3110 Sealand toilet decided turn our bathroom into an outhouse.  Basically, flushing the toilet opens the ball valve normally and dispenses some flush water.  The problem is the ball then stays open.  I could, until recently move the right-hand toggle switch on the control board to the left and then return it to center, and the ball would close until the next flush whereupon the whole process would be repeated.  Lately, resetting the toggle switch doesn't close the ball valve.

Is this an electrical/control panel problem? Or does the ball valve need cleaning?  It appears that replacement parts are almost nonexistent.  WW has already nixed putting the whole assembly through the dishwasher (aren't women just the funniest?)

If this toilet needs to be replaced, what is the best toilet to replace it with?  (WW just gave me grief for ending this sentence with a preposition)

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: Magnum Opus Replacement?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2017, 01:17:26 AM »
Perhaps the neighbor's dishwasher... in the next parking site over.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

William Jordan

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2017, 02:22:33 PM »
Bob I had the same problem about 2 months ago. The ball wouldn't close without flipping the switch. It's happened before. .. a glitch in the electronic board I guess but always corrected itself .  I discovered that if before I flushed , I lifted the flush valve to add a tiny bit of water,  then flushed,  it worked every time!  I haven't a clue as to why. We just recently discovered it now works without the "lift" first. So it repaired itself?! .. I now stand there  and watch it work holding my breath every time lol !
I never trust easy so I prepared a alternate plan and am ready to buy a Thetford electric push button flush toilet ( since there is 12 volt power avail). Don't have the model number handy but it comes up on a google search easily  price was in the 6-700 dollar range delivered
 I just paid good $ last year to have the opus seals and a discovered bad solenoid  replaced so I'm hopeful that it lasts .. the parts are hard to find and not cheap!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 02:27:49 PM by William Jordan »

Bob Bulot

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2017, 12:58:40 AM »
Thanks William. This problem started a month or two ago.   After a couple of days, the ball started closing normally again.   This plus the fact that the ball can be closed by resetting the switch on the control panel leads me to believe that it is electrical rather than a dirty ball valve.

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2017, 04:10:28 PM »
Perhaps the neighbor's dishwasher... in the next parking site over.

::) Clever innovation does solve problems from time to time.  ;D
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 05:27:55 AM »
Bob and William
Our 07 came with the 'Techma'  toilet that has two push buttons on the wall.  It uses a bit more water than one could scrape by with on the lever flush version.  There is an adjustment to that so it can be minimized.  We like it and it seems an improved design from the older electric flush versions.
Is it possible that the flush (selenoid?) Is older on your toilet and a sticking ball valve is putting a strain on it?  I am thinking that a good cleaning inside might give you a bit more time with the existing model.

Just food for thought!
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!