Author Topic: 06 Front Door opener/brace/top hinge  (Read 5530 times)

Bill Brown

06 Front Door opener/brace/top hinge
« on: December 23, 2010, 07:33:50 PM »
We have an 06 Monterey with a problem front door latch/opener, I am not sure of the nonmenclature.  The hinged piece at the top of the front door, which should hold the door open and allow door closure when ready.  Anyway, ours is really loose, often locks up when not wanted and unlocks the same, plus wants to swing the wrong way when attempting to close the door.  Ours is riveted to the door top and is attached with screws where it swings into the door frame.  Has anyone devised a satisfactory fix for this problem?  I tried the BAC search but didn't find anything.

Thanks for any assistance.
Bill Brown
06 Monterey
« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 04:01:36 AM by 14 »

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: 06 Front Door opener/brace/top hinge
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 09:29:49 PM »
We had trouble with ours, even when new.  The center pivot of the two-piece arm wasn't quite right.  The techs in Bend knew what they were doing I reckon.  They tweaked it somehow and it's worked fine since;  if memory serves, one of the 2 arms needed a very slight straightening.  If the hinging arm is swinging the wrong way occasionally, then the "stop" on it is being overridden, or it's worn or broken off;  could be the center pivot rivet is shot, allowing too much play.  Check again, because it shouldn't be riveted to the door top as you say;  each of the two arms pivot on "rivets" that mount in plates.  One plate screw mounts to the door top, and the other (as you've seen) screw mounts to the door frame.

I know that's not specific enough to help you fix it yourself, unless the door or frame mounts are loose.  I'm sure you would have tackled that with a screwdriver by now, though you need to get up there and more closely examine the plate on the door top.  A call to Beaver Coach Sales may get it resolved, but it could be you need a new arm if the center pivot is shot.

-Joel
« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 11:08:38 AM by 77 »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Bill Brown

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2010, 03:50:22 PM »
Thanks Joel.  The plate on top of the door is definitely rivited, which means I will have to drill them out, in order to remove the bracket.  The center hinge on the bracket is very loose, thus allowing the stop on the bracket to duck under the bracket arm on top. I expect a new bracket is in our future, unless after I remove the bracket a big hammer can fix.  Thanks for the reply.  Merry Christmas.
Bill Brown
06 Monterey
« Last Edit: December 25, 2010, 12:20:53 AM by 14 »

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2010, 09:36:40 PM »
Wow.  That surprised me, Bill.  Our '06 Monterey's entry door scissor's plates are both screwed in.  Don't know why there's rivets on yours.

Yes, the small stop-flange on ours was tucking under the opposite arm on occasion, though not enough to go all the way across it and let the scissor unit go completely the other way.  The convex blister in one arm has to engage just right in the concave dimple on the other arm, to hold the door open at full swing but allow a firm nudge to disengage them for closing.  An imperceptably bent arm and/or a loose center pivot fouls that proper engagement.  After our BCS tech's fix (and I'm not sure precisely what all he did to it), the scissor arm works perfectly every time.  Can't say enough about those guys' expertise.  He also glued in a small felt pad on the door top and on one on the top door frame - they are near one another when the door is shut;  I think it helps keep the scissor from rattling on the road, but I'm not sure.  I've seen them do it before, so reckon they know what they're doing.

If you could drill out the rivets and remove the unit, and were fortunate enough to have access to a vice, you could straighten the arms and perhaps squeeze and hammer the pivot to eliminate the excess play.  Sans vice, I reckon a hammer alone would have to do.  But then I'd try to tap the holes in the door top, or use threaded inserts, so I could use screws instead of rivets to replace the plate.

The entry doors on our coaches have to take a lot of abuse.  A gust of wind or a careless person/child slamming them or pushing them hard against the open stop is a common event.  It's no surprise things go haywire with hinge problems, latch breakdowns, misalignment, air seal damage, or the glass loses its seal resulting in moisture intrusion between the panes.  You and I might operate the door with the ultimate in caution, but we're not the only ones using it.

-Joel
« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 09:47:32 PM by 77 »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Bill Brown

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 04:43:22 PM »
Joel,  
Yes, the guys at Beaver Sales do a great job.  Unfortunately or fortunately, depending on point of view, we are currently in AZ so a little far to go see the guys.  So I expect I will drill out the rivets and locate a vice to help flatten out the pivot assembly.  I have already placed a shim on the house side of the assembly and added a piece of rubber to help hold the door open, etc.  So, next step will be the drill, hammer/vice, and tap out the holes on the door side.  Thanks for your info.
Bill Brown
06 Monterey