Author Topic: Cat Engine Updates  (Read 8590 times)

Dennis Crawford

Cat Engine Updates
« on: March 14, 2009, 01:51:32 PM »
Hello All,

I have a 2005 Monterey with the Cat C9 400HP.  I have an issue uploading new Cat Engine software.  The plug that is installed (plus interface wiring) can not handle the large updates.  My dealer in Maryland had a workaround by using the interface between Cat and the Transmission.  When I mentioned this to the my new Cat dealer in Florida (Ring) they never heard of this.  They basically take the attitude that if they can not do it with what is there, they just won't do it.  I think I may be several releases behind.  Has anyone found a workaround for this.

Thanks,

Dennis

Richard And Babs Ames

Re: Cat Engine Updates
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 09:53:00 PM »
The connection may just not be as fast but able to handle any amount of information, just slower.  The connector may need checking to see if it is OK.

Dennis Crawford

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 07:24:15 PM »
Richard,

It just will not work.  We have tried it in two places.  The system will start sending the data, but will stop part way thru.

Dennis

Dick Reichelt

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 08:19:08 PM »
I also have a 2005 monterey 400 cat and had the same problem.[slow download and complete stoppage]
I took it to Peterson Cat in Eugene, Or and they were able to resolve the download process.
It was awfully slow but successful.

Dick Reichelt

Dennis Crawford

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 08:21:51 PM »
Dick,

The next time you take it to them, there is a faster way.  I know this to be true because my Cat dealer in Maryland was able to do it by using the link at the transmission.  My problem is that the folks in Florida (Ring Power) don't know about it and will not do anything that requires an extra step.

Dennis

Denny Wagaman

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 04:39:14 AM »
I also have a '05 Monterey 400 cat and am told that there are not any updates.  So I would appreciate any informaiton.
Denny

JimLNichols

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 05:09:11 AM »
Had the same problem last Feburary. Mechanic had to pull the starter to get to the main engine connecter. He also said the info being downloaded had to share the lines with the trans.  Have had it done since and there wasn't a problem. makes me wonder if the problem was a poor connecter or connection.    Jim Nichols

Stanley Richard Anderson

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009, 03:42:58 PM »
Denny Wagaman,
I have a Cat C-9, 400 horsepower engine in my 2005 Monterey coach. I had a software update done last fall, at Wagner Cat in Denver. The update basically allowed more fuel to flow to the engine at startup, until the engine water temperature reaches either 150 or 160 degrees  ( I can't remember which). The engine idles much better now, at cold start up.
Good luck.
Stan Anderson