Author Topic: Halogen ceiling light LED replacement  (Read 6715 times)

Jeremy Parrett

Halogen ceiling light LED replacement
« on: December 13, 2010, 03:05:35 AM »
I have something like 48 halogen bulbs in the little round ceiling lights in my coach that get very hot and consume over 20 amps of 12 volt electricity when they are all on. It occured to me I could replace them all with LED's as I have done on my sailboat.  Various dealers here in the US quoted me up to $14 per light.....so I went to EBay.......here is what I bought:
 Item number: 120609644751  for $1.29 each and $1.00 S&H ea from Hong Kong .  For around $109 I have replaced all those pesky red hot halogen bulbs with cool LED's that consume 140 mil amps each.
 It was a steep learning curve.......the gold rim unlatches a quarter turn counterclockwise;carefully remove and take care of the glass crimped in place; this reveals 3 phillips screws; undo them and lower the fitting to a comfortable height;carefully pull the halogen bulb from the holder;pop out  the pressed in place backing plate ; holding the bulb holder tightly in place force the pins of the new LED into the two pin holes after adjusting the spacing to fit. Some force is required here; test the LED and if it does not light reverse the wiring at the connectors; replace the fitting in the ceiling and screw carefully in place; carefully clean the glass and replace the gold rim....a  small clockwise turn will lock it in place.
It took me a day however it was worth the effort. With all the ceiling lights ,kitchen lights,vanity lights etc switched on I am now using less than  1.0 amp compared to  around 20 amps before. In other words when I am not hooked up and not on the generator I can light the entire coach and the  overnight voltage drop is negligable . The indirect ceiling lights have many led's and consume around 4 amps so   I do not use them .
If anyone wants to email me about this ......svpelican1@hotmail.com .
Some of the spade connectors I had to reverse were quite corroded and for this reason alone the exercise was well worth it.  I am now looking to the exterior lights ,brake lights and headlights where a huge improvement in brilliance can be achieved that will not require upgrading the wiring to handle a larger load as would more powerful halogen lamps.
     Jeremy 2000 Beaver Marquis Amethyst. C12 .

Carol Bentley

• BAC Member
Re: Halogen ceiling light LED replacement
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 02:04:50 PM »
Thanks Jeremy: I've been looking some at a lower price and it's looks like you found it. Jim Bentley

Tim Bentley Co-Admin

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 05:11:45 PM »
A question about your LED lights.  I have replaced a few halogen lights in my coach and find that even the ones with 12 LED are not as bright as the originals.  The ones that you are using have only 6 LED.  Do you have the same amount of light that you had with the Halogen bulbs?

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 05:31:57 PM »
Hello Tim,
   These LED's are not quite as bright as the halogen.They give off  an off white light which we find much more pleasing. They are definitely bright enough to read by and are easier on the eyes. Of course having found the corroded spade connectors they are all wired with  We think a potential fire hazard has been avoided.
Why dont you order a trial number to do the lounge area and kitchen ceiling (13) and see if you like them? A very cheap fix. Heck we might even be able to sell the halogens !!!!
We are  trying to find some red ones to light the driving area at night for map reading while we are under way. These 2 are controlled by the instrument switch on the dash.  Maybe we will change the bed room ceiling ones for more mood inducing led's like dimmer green or blue as well.....lol ....Jane says not red !!!
   Have fun....I think it has mellowed the atmosphere in the coach ........the halogens were really harsh......and really hot.  
                  Jeremy and Jane

Bill Johnson

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 05:48:09 PM »
I have another question regarding LEDs.  I have been looking for LED's to replace the flourescent lights in our coach.  Thus far I have not found any that are "cost effective."  Have you (or any other  folk on the forum) found a reasonably priced LED replacement?

Tim Bentley Co-Admin

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2010, 12:55:24 AM »
There are 2 banks of lights in the living room area of our coach that are on separate switches.  A good compromise for us is to have one of those sets changed to LED and one left with the regular halogen bulbs.  When we dry camp we can run the LED set and still have the Halogen for when we need more light.  Ordered the LED's today, there is a $15.00 shipping and handling charge for each order so its best to make up your mind and order one time.  Well let you all know know my plan works.