Author Topic: Electrical cord reel  (Read 4948 times)

Adam Hicklin

Electrical cord reel
« on: August 31, 2017, 02:39:32 PM »
While extending the power cord today the cord reel would periodically stop. I'd cycle the switch and would continue.  Not sure of the problem, possibly the switch.  But it got me thinking about the cord reel. Is there any routine maintenance that should be done on the reel?  Is there a manual way to operate the reel, should it stop working?  Does anyone know how to access the reel in a 98 Marquis?

Thanks in advance. 

Bryan Beamon

• BAC Member
Re: Electrical cord reel
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2017, 12:56:33 AM »
Adam, my only experience with our cord reel has been to remove the 2 wires connected to the retract switch and replace the female connecters. Our cord reel was acting as yours was and this solved our problem. Also not aware of any periodic maintenance. Others on the forum will have to help you with accessing your cord reel.
C & Bryan Beamon
2006  to present
2007 Contessa 42ft Cat C-9 400hp
1996 to 2006 97 Beaver Patriot Camden

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2017, 09:42:38 AM »
Adam
The cord reel on our 02 acted up.  I pulled the switch and cleaned the contacts both male and female.  This mostly resolved the problem but the switch was getting old.
The Glendenning reel in ours was located behind a panel to the left of the engine compartment.  Pull the cover and you could touch the reel / tub that held the cord.
I frequently inspect the 4 prongs on the plug for corrosion or burns or looseness.  Beyond that I wipe the cord down as I retract it and that about covers maintenance.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Orman Claxton

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2017, 08:54:03 PM »
After replacing the reel twice, I did away with it. No Reel, no problem. 8)
The following users thanked this post: Keith Moffett

Michael Peters

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2017, 05:56:53 PM »
on my reel there are limit switches for in and out. Mine was operating in intermittent,but always out . I put a jumper on in switch contact . Problem solved ,but you have to be careful reeling in. The terminal strip is next to reel. A little testing with trouble light will determine the contact to jump.

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2017, 11:32:41 PM »
Do all/most Beaver coaches have a power reel?  I think ours has a powered device that pulls the cord in and out, but the cord doesn't roll up on a reel.  I think our cord coils into a bucket on the rear, street side on the outward side of the engine.  Just wondering...

I found that giving the cord a half twist clockwise every four feet or so when being pulled in helps the cord coil more easily down into its resting position in the bucket.  I also lift the cord so the powered device doesn't have to work too hard, and use a small towel to clean the cord as it's pulled in.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 11:46:02 PM by David T. Richelderfer »
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Gerald Farris

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2017, 03:13:45 AM »
David,
Most, but not all Beavers have powered retract shore power cords. There are two main types. Your coach has a Glendinning Cablemaster CM-7 that uses a friction wheel to retract a hard wired cord into a locker. These systems are power extend and retract. The other type actually rolls the cord onto a reel. Therefore, the shore cord is hard wired to the reel and the power is transferred to the coach through brushes on the side of the reel to the coach wiring at the mounting base of the reel. Most of these systems are manual extend and power retract.

Gerald