Author Topic: Carefree of Colorado - Eclipse  (Read 2592 times)

Tic Wilson

Carefree of Colorado - Eclipse
« on: September 29, 2017, 11:42:30 PM »
Warm here in AZ today and decided to put the big awning out.  No Go.  Diagnoses leads to RP-24 Control Box bench test procedure.
Control box failed.  Searched Internet for replacement, found none.  Called Carefree and was told the part was obsolete and that their NEW system would be the fix.  Does anyone have any idea how to bypass this issue.  Fortunately the awning is already in its stowed position, but it would be nice to gain some shade.  I suppose I could try to wire around it, but I consider that a last resort.
Thanks in advance.

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Carefree of Colorado - Eclipse
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2017, 12:47:37 AM »
Tic,
The awning motor runs on 12v. One polarity drives the awning out. Reversing the polarity brings it in. So, you should be able to apply 12v and gnd to the red and black wires on the motor connector at the control box (unplug connector first). You'll be able to see which polarity is right to extend the awning. Alternatively you can apply the voltage/ground to the 2 exposed metal studs on the motor cover. You can download a copy of the service manual from the Carefree web site.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Tic Wilson

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2017, 04:45:29 PM »
Thanks Steve!  I have the original owners manuals with wiring diagrams.  That is where I found the bench test procedure.  I suppose I will sit down and draw up my own wiring diagram using a 12V relay and three position manual switch.  Unfortunately, I will lose the windsmart and automatic retract with that plan.  I may try some salvage yards before I start cutting and modifying.

gregott

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2017, 02:46:21 AM »
What is your control box model #? I had purchased a new one for my 08 contessa and it turned out to not be the problem so I now have 2. FYI: my problem ended up being in the exterior plug which had gotten some water in and corroded the pins. The solution was to clean the pins as best I could and then apply di electric grease to the plug and now my eclipse works fine.

Tic Wilson

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2017, 06:08:46 AM »
The model is RP-24 as listed on the parts sheet.  I have the original manuals with a bench test procedure and it failed the test.  Next step was to replace the control box.  If you have this one, get back to me.  And THANK YOU!