Author Topic: engine dies or at least looses all power  (Read 1991 times)

Hal Grimshaw

• BAC Member
engine dies or at least looses all power
« on: October 28, 2017, 10:20:33 PM »
It is getting worse.  had it in kenworth repair for 24 hours.  found nothing    drops from 65 to 55 or even 30 before it restarts.  engine doesn't stop just won't pull.  engine 185 trany 165.   flat or up  hill ne diff.  cruiose on or off.  is it getting air in the fuel????  shouldn't that have shown up on the CAT diogonistic   help??  when it really stops and engine also stops we get engine commfailure
2007 Patriot Thunder
C13

Neal E Weinmann

• BAC Member
Re: engine dies or at least looses all power
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2017, 11:18:59 PM »
Suggest you post this question to the “Ask Dave” section to get the most comprehensive answer from our resident CAT tech (retired).
2005 Monterey Bayview IV
CAT C9 400HP
2018 Ford Edge Titanium

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2017, 11:44:22 PM »
Bad fuel and clogged fuel filter?
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2017, 11:56:15 PM »
Hal, just got on checking the forum and see you are having some power problems.
Maybe you can fill me in on what is going on and also would you give me your engine
serial number. What information service shop had preformed, this seems to be of interest
because if service shop could not provide any engine codes, are they using Cat ET Service
Tool. What I’m reading in between the lines, problem is minor but nobody is picking up
on what is going on. Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic

Hal Grimshaw

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2017, 01:43:05 AM »
The service center was MHC KENWORTH in Chattanooga TN.  the work was done 10/24/17.the serial number is KCB 72985.  It's a c-13 in a 2007 patriot thunder.  44 feet.  you did a computer run for me at Quartsite last January. 

It runs weak when it does but just dies out on pull .  Generally doesn't stop the engine unless we have to come to a full stop and that is usually on the freeway.

Thanks for anything you can do.
2007 Patriot Thunder
C13

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2017, 05:20:51 AM »
Hal, looking at two areas first starting with the twin turbos (there has been several service bulletins)
in this area that will cause low power. Second the Cat Electric fuel pump mounted up on engine,
Pulling air into fuel system from fuel tank up front. The air/fuel adjustment via the engine ECM.
Being no logged fault codes present but problem is still low power, than we have an Event Code
happening. Last winter you had a engine diagnostic readout and printout that base line information
with Cat ET Service tool. Having a Caterpillar Service shop just give a fault code readout along
Your information from last winter should point us in the above direction. Would you be able to
Troubleshoot the above areas with guidance on my end to point out problem last question will
you be at Quartzsite Rally in January. Do not believe low power is anything major because there
is no active fault codes present. Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic