Author Topic: Shore Power  (Read 2900 times)

tomchase

Shore Power
« on: October 22, 2017, 07:43:00 PM »
With the shore power cord plugged in I have no 120 volt power in the coach. When generator or inverter are on the coach has 120 volts. Normally when I plug the shore power cord in I hear the transfer switch click but now I do not hear that click and I have no 120 volt power in the coach. I'm using a 15 amp cord and my meter shows 120 volt power at the 50 amp adapter on both female spades.  Any ideas?

Thanks Tom Chase
05 Marquis 40'

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
Re: Shore Power
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 08:39:51 PM »
First guess is transfer switch.  In it's "off" non-energized position the transfer switch defaults to the generator.  When it senses shore power the relays switch to their energized (on) position.  Thats the clunk you hear.  That would be my first check.  After the transfer switch shore or generator power are the same path.  Before the transfer switch on the shore side are the cable and some connections.
Good luck.
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Gerald Farris

Re: Shore Power
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 05:04:25 PM »
Tom,
First check for power at the transfer switch. If there is 120 volts coming into the transfer switch and no voltage on the output side, you have a bad transfer switch. However, if there is no voltage on the input side, you either have a problem in the cord or reel. If your coach has cord reel that rolls the cord onto a reel, they are prone to fail where the brushes make contact, but if your coach has a Glendinning locker style cord reel, the cord is hardwired to the coach so there are no brushes to fail and the reel can not be part of the problem.

Gerald