Author Topic: Retro Compartment Mods for Residential Refrigerator Installation  (Read 2300 times)

D. Wendal Attig

Before we install the new residential refrigerator I'm looking for advice on how to treat the original vent opening in the roof, and the outside access panel opening. Both of those allow significant air circulation but I'm guessing way more than will be necessary with the new unit. I was thinking about closing them off, but the salesman reminded me that there needs to be some circulation.  I also wanted to insulate the sides of the compartment with poly foam sheet leaving about 1" between the foam and the unit. Since there is always airspace under the residential units, I don't want to introduce too much air circulation into the coach in cold or warm weather. Your thoughts and experiences are appreciated.

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Retro Compartment Mods for Residential Refrigerator Installation
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 01:53:30 AM »
I insulated the sides of mine. My coach has 2 outside wall vents, one at the base and one at the top of the cooling unit. We closed off the top wall vent but left the lower wall vent open. I did fashion a cover for it that I could use to close teh vent off in freezing weather to protect the icemaker line. I'd close off the roof vent.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 08:04:06 AM »
Keeping space between the insulation and the fridge side walls is a good idea.  As you likely know, today's frost-free models' sides heat up during defrost cycles, sometimes significantly in my experience with the freezer in the garage and our kitchen fridge, and the heat must be able to vent away.  Normally the unit's manual dilineates the manufacturer's prescribed spacing, which may be more than our RV configurations can provide, but we can only make the best of it.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Doug Allman

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 11:10:49 AM »
On our 2004 Marquis we closed off the top roof vent with an aluminum plate and 3" of foam, closed off the side vent with spray foam after we covered the air inlets in the plastic removable access door, door no longer can be removed as it is foam in place. Have never had any problem with the supposed heat issue as I left a small amount of air gap along the top and side trim and there is approx 2" of air gap along the bottom of the Samsung.

Spend 3 months in AZ in winter and most other monthly travel in summer to the west with no issues.