Author Topic: C9 Water Pump and Unknown Red Wire Help  (Read 1604 times)

Russ Mann

C9 Water Pump and Unknown Red Wire Help
« on: October 31, 2017, 12:58:31 AM »
The shaft on the water pump on my 2006 C9 froze up on 10/21. We were 130 miles north of Reno, NV on HWY 395 and had to be towed to Reno ($1,600) for repairs. When we removed the water pump there was a hardened black sludge in the port on the rear of the pump. I don't know where that hose goes. There is also a hose on the right hand side of the pump with a metal right angle (see pump photo). I suspect that these 2 hoses are part of the Hydro-Hot Engine Pre-Heat which I never use. Can someone tell me what these 2 hoses are used for? Has anyone seen a black sludge anywhere in the cooling system? A well known radiator shop said it's caused by not back flushing the engine? Never heard that before.

I have a disconnected red wire to the left of the alternator that I can't determine where it should be connected. Anyone have an idea (see photo)?

Thanks in advance!

Russ Mann

Re: C9 Water Pump and Unknown Red Wire Help
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 01:21:51 AM »
CORRECTION:
The shaft on the water pump on my 2006 C9 froze up on 10/21. We were 130 miles north of Reno, NV on HWY 395 and had to be towed to Reno ($1,600) for repairs. When we removed the water pump there was a hardened black sludge in the port AT THE TOP RIGHT of the pump. I don't know where that hose goes. There is also a hose on the right hand side of the pump with a metal right angle (see pump photo). I suspect that these 2 hoses are part of the Hydro-Hot Engine Pre-Heat which I never use. Can someone tell me what these 2 hoses are used for? Has anyone seen a black sludge anywhere in the cooling system? A well known radiator shop said it's caused by not back flushing the engine? Never heard that before.

I have a disconnected red wire to the left of the alternator that I can't determine where it should be connected. Anyone have an idea (see photo)?