Author Topic: Aqua-Hot circulator pump "cycling" with power off  (Read 2498 times)

Mike Shumack

Aqua-Hot circulator pump "cycling" with power off
« on: November 03, 2017, 01:46:48 PM »
I have a 2005 Beaver with the Aqua-Hot AHE-100-04S.

With the power off (Coach Power switch off) and the Engine Off, I hear a clicking noise coming from the Aqua-Hot. The Aqua-Hot panel in the basement compartment has no lit lights in this (off) mode.

I removed the cover and see the Circulator Pump #2 is clicking (it appears that is trying to rotate - the internal impeller just jumps back and forth a little). The other two pumps do not do this. I disconnected the power wire to that pump for now.

I downloaded the Owners, Installation, and Service manuals but there is nothing mentioned on this condition.
I will try to run the entire system later this week (furnace mode) to see if the cycling stops after it is run for a while (in case something (contact switch?) is just stuck due to sitting)

Has anyone seen this - any idea what it could be?
PS. I posted this question on the iRV2>Monaco forum too. Hopefully someone has seen this before.

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: Aqua-Hot circulator pump "cycling" with power off
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2017, 02:05:34 PM »
Is your coach plugged into shore power?  Is the AquaHot electric element water heater turned ON?

Our coach is the 02S model and does not have a control panel.  Ours has a diesel burner ON/OFF switch over the living room couch and a breaker in the main 110v panel to turn ON/OFF the electric heating element.  These functions (diesel burning and electric element water heating) are separate functions - meaning one or both, or neither, can be ON/OFF.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 02:08:44 PM by David T. Richelderfer »
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Mike Shumack

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2017, 02:14:45 PM »
I am plugged into Shore power (but only 120V 20A supply).
I'm not sure about your other question. I'll check when I get home later. I had the "Coach Power" switch Off (I now know not to do that) and nothing inside is lighted. I don't know what the position of the "Electric" switch is (On or Off) for the Aqua-Hot. I believe this is switch bank located under the counter in the galley.

UPDATE: Checked with wife, the Aqua-Hot electric switch is Off.
I'll run the furnace for all zones (which should run all circulator pumps) when I get home and then see if the #2 circulator pump is still acting up afterwards.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 03:59:28 PM by Mike Shumack »

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 06:40:20 PM »
I have a similar situation in my Hydro Hot. Experts say it is due to a bad control board, which makes sense as the voltage signal for the pump comes directly from the board. My solution was to install a switch in the voltage line to the pump. I turn it off when the HH is not being used. Just have to remember to turn it on when I use it.
Steve
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2017, 07:50:31 PM »
I'm not an expert, but IIRC, the Aqua Hot needs 12V to start the system. If you have the Salesman switch (power off switch) off, you don't have 12V power. Perhaps the clicks are from the system trying to start due to the thermostat, but no power. Just an idea.
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad