Author Topic: What is part number for basement door lift supports?  (Read 4852 times)

Mike Shumack

What is part number for basement door lift supports?
« on: November 04, 2017, 06:48:05 PM »
I wrote down the make/partnumber for the gas lift struts on the basement compartment door, but I have been unable to find a match.  2005 Beaver Patriot
I came up with "Stablis Lift-O-Matic 1604EW 0280N 320/04 A2.  I guess that last number group is not a part number. It doesn't come up with anything on the Stabilus website.

Does anyone know what the part number is?  If not, I can just order by length and see if it works.

UPDATE: I found one strut set on the Coach by Master-Lift. It had part number 4533QZ, which crossed to ML 34-80.
According to the specs, it is 80Lb force, 8mm rod, 18mm tube, and has extension length of 20 inches and compressed length of 12 inches (although I measured 11" closed on mine - but I can't sure I'm measuring from the correct points).
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 07:17:19 PM by Mike Shumack »

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: What is part number for basement door lift supports?
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 11:27:19 PM »
The force rating needs to be correct, not just the compressed and open length.  I didn't have luck with searching your part no. either, although there's more than one way to spell "Stablis".

Try calling these guys or Stabilus and see if they can help:  http://www.siraweb.com/stabilus?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwNXilMmo1wIVh2B-Ch2qAw_4EAMYASAAEgJMGfD_BwE

addendum:  I did find this finally, which may be yours:
https://www.liftsupportsdepot.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=1604EW&attr=interchange_part_numbers

Joel
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 11:44:03 PM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Mike Shumack

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2017, 03:05:07 PM »
Doesn't 80lbs of force seem pretty high for a comparment door?
Two of these is a 160lbs force? That can't be right.

Can someone check their basement-hatch doors and see what is installed. The doors I'm working with are the ones that hold up the hatch for the dump connections and the one if front of that (storage). It looks like all the hatch doors have the same gas strut Stabilus model, expect the one with the Master-Lift, (but I can't be sure the previous owner installed the correct part - or if these are the originals)

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2017, 04:17:38 PM »
I replaced my struts a couple of years ago. They were Stabilus. I used 60lb pressure on the two bays you are referencing, Mike, and they work well. On the two bays that come out with the streetside slide, I used 80s, and they are a devil to get down..they sure stay up though! I would use 60s on those as well next time. IIRC, the electrical bay, and the cord reel bay, I used 40s, because those are smaller doors. Also, the little door next to the battery bay..40s.

I'm trying to find the bill of sale for the exact model #s, and when I do, I will post here. I bought them on eBay, but the place was so close to home, I went and picked them up in person in Streator, IL.
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Mike Shumack

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2017, 04:31:25 PM »
Thanks. I also e-mailed Beaver Coach Sales. Maybe they can confirm what are the correct parts.

I did order a couple of the Master-Lift "80 lb force" struts off Amazon - but I'll wait until I know for sure that they are the correct "force" before I install anything.

Roy Warren Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2017, 04:37:49 PM »
Mike,
Recommend calling BCS.  They are pretty busy and don't always answer e-mails.
Roy Warren
Roy Warren
2005 Patriot Thunder
Cat C-13

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2017, 05:27:15 PM »
I replaced my struts a couple of years ago. They were Stabilus. I used 60lb pressure on the two bays you are referencing, Mike, and they work well. On the two bays that come out with the streetside slide, I used 80s, and they are a devil to get down..they sure stay up though! I would use 60s on those as well next time. IIRC, the electrical bay, and the cord reel bay, I used 40s, because those are smaller doors. Also, the little door next to the battery bay..40s.

I'm trying to find the bill of sale for the exact model #s, and when I do, I will post here. I bought them on eBay, but the place was so close to home, I went and picked them up in person in Streator, IL.

Update: Senility has set in. They were from R&P Trailer Sales in Seneca, IL They were not Stabilus, that was the OEM brand.

Lavanture LGP-8-200-80 the 80s
Lavanture LGP-8-200-60 the 60s
Lavanture LGP-6-200-40 the 40s
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Mike Shumack

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2017, 05:47:39 PM »
Thanks!

While on the subject of basement doors/hatches... this may sound silly, but I want to treat this coach right so ...

Do you guys slam your basement doors shut?

When I bought my coach (last month) the previous owner showed/told me to hold the latch handle open then use my knee to push against the door latch to make sure it is fully closed. I'm not sure if Beaver recommends closing them this gently, or if its just a smart thing to do, or if its not necessary.

Fir example, I saw the Tiffin video where the sales guy just goes around the coach slamming all the compartment doors shut - commenting on how strong and well built the doors are.

So do you slam your doors shut (like closing a car door) or hold the handle up and press the door shut?

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2017, 07:23:35 PM »
Mike,
With the swing out doors, I close them gently, then make sure they are latched. With the lift up doors, I hold the handle up, and close it with a hip bump.
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2017, 07:36:33 PM »
Until last year I was a light slammer.  Last year I broke the nylon latch "bolt" on two doors.  Now I close the doors slowly, then lift the handles while pressing the doors firmly.  The last thing I do is press against the bottom of the doors, fore and aft, with my lower leg to make sure both ends of the door are closed.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 07:38:52 PM by David T. Richelderfer »
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Mike Shumack

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2017, 09:39:20 PM »
Thanks.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2017, 10:15:40 PM »
I pretty much do the same as David.  I try to hear both left and right latches click into place as I press gently with my leg calf.  Some doors are more stubborn than others in that regard, but the "click" of the nylon plunger engaging is satisfying, both sides of lifting doors.  The side-swing doors are different, but easily checked for secureness.

Slamming the doors just doesn't seem a great method;  I've seen the latch plate screws broken enough times to discourage my abuse of them.  Break them, the latch slips from perfect alignment, and either you won't be able to close the door or worse, it's jammed closed.

A couple years ago we left BCS and about half way to Redmond a lady in a car to my left was waving so I pulled over, and found the electrical bay door under me wide open;  believe it or not hard to see at that position.  A tech hadn't been careful enough latching it, and that particular door is finicky.  Now I check that door more carefully than the others via my mirrors on the road, where bumps may dislodge a latch or bounce open an incompletely fastened door.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat