Author Topic: What Key does the entry door use?  (Read 3071 times)

Mike Shumack

What Key does the entry door use?
« on: November 25, 2017, 04:55:58 PM »
I don't have a key for the lower lock on the entry door. When I bought the coach the previous owner gave me all the keys he had, but the one for the front door (lower lock, not deadbolt) does not turn. I asked him if that was the correct key and he said he wasn't sure - that was the key he received when he bought the coach but never used it as the remote control works.

However, I would like to have the correct keys - if available somewhere. Who make this  door lock? How can I get a key?

The lower door look has a "K" on it next to the slot where the key goes in. My key has an "R5" on one side (if that means anything) and says "Axxess+" on the other side. It fits the lock - just doesn't turn it.

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
Re: What Key does the entry door use?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2017, 06:45:18 PM »
My lower door lock looks just like the cargo door keys.  Small with black plastic coating.  I gets copies at an RV parts center when I need them. 
Good luck.
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Mike Shumack

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2017, 07:55:27 PM »
I don't mean the basement compartment doors - Jerry, if that is what you're talking about.
I'm talking about the entry door to the coach. it has two keyed locks, the lower one is connected to the interior door handle and can also be locked/unlocked with the remote control, and the upper lock is a deadbolt lock.

Roy Warren Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2017, 01:50:28 AM »
Mike,
There are two similar keys.  One is for the cargo bay doors and the other for the entry door.  They both look the same and only have slightly different tumblers.  I have found my cargo bay will open other coaches entry doors and my entry door will open other coaches entry doors or cargo doors.  If you have two similar keys, one will be for the entry door.  Jerry was correct. 
If you don't have both keys, go to a locksmith and show him the key you have and he normally can make a key for the entry door.  I place the entry door key either on my car key ring or in the car as when the entry door keypad doesn't work, the key will work.
Roy Warren
Roy Warren
2005 Patriot Thunder
Cat C-13
The following users thanked this post: Jerry Emert

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2017, 02:12:32 AM »
I don't mean the basement compartment doors - Jerry, if that is what you're talking about.
I'm talking about the entry door to the coach. it has two keyed locks, the lower one is connected to the interior door handle and can also be locked/unlocked with the remote control, and the upper lock is a deadbolt lock.
Understood.  I have 2 locks on my door.  The deadbolt is higher than the other lock.  The lower lock on my door has a key that is the same size and style as the one that fits the cargo (basement) doors.  Just different number on it.
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2017, 02:44:40 AM »
Roy is right about the cargo key being nearly identical to the door one.  I got colored rings at a key makers machine site, and put an orange (go OSU Beavers) one on my door key to tell it apart, as well as a yellow one on my CAT engine door keys and a green one on the fuel door keys.

I take it you mean you don’t have a co-pilots set key to copy.  A call to BCS may prove helpful, or a reputable locksmith may be able to build a couple keys if given enough info.  Just be sure it’s an old line, well entrenched locksmith as there are a lot of scam ones nowadays.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2017, 10:09:53 AM »
If your key lock hasn't been used for some time it can be stiff and crusty inside.  Try using the same key but pushing in on the door and then turning the key.  It may feel like it isn't working because it is a little bound up.
It seems to me that the lock key is the ignition key on ours.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

jeffprupis

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2017, 11:30:38 PM »
Access is a key cutting system used by Walmart and some big box stores. 5R is a GM key blank (same as ignition key on our coach). 5R is the key blank code used by Access. All GM keys of that era look extremely similar. By virtue of the K on the cylinder I'd venture that the genius a Walmart used the wrong blank. Try having the key recut using the 5R as the original but make sure they use a "K" GM key as the blank. 20 years owning a hardware store pay off.

Mike Shumack

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2017, 11:19:22 AM »
Thanks All.
Jeff and Keith are right. That Axxcess key I have is the "same cut" as my Ignition key. I hadn't noticed until I read keith's post and did a closer side-by-side examination.
Unfortunately the ignition keys still will not unlock the entry door. Either it's gummed up like said earlier, or previous owner may have changed the lock (ignition) and didn't provide/save the old key for the door.

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2017, 02:04:42 PM »
Do you have a local locksmith? Wouldn’t hurt to call to see what they can do.
Fred & Cindy
2002 Beaver Patriot Thunder 455, C12 CAT
Towing 2019 Chevy Equinox, AWD Diesel
South Central Missouri, US Army Retired

Mike Shumack

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2017, 02:26:37 PM »
That's the next step. Thanks.