Author Topic: Where is sensor for Transmission Temp (dash gauge) located?  (Read 3176 times)

Mike Shumack

Where is sensor for Transmission Temp (dash gauge) located?
« on: November 27, 2017, 02:43:01 PM »
The transmission Temperature gauge on the dash of my 05 Patriot does not appear to be working. The previous owner told me "he thought the gauge was broken at first, but after a long hill climb the gauge did start to show temperature". However, I don't think this is correct for the way the gauge "should" be working. I went for an hour drive yesterday the gauge never moved (it starts at 140 F).

I think that after an hour's drive the trans temp should be registering close to engine temp on the gauge.

I posted this on the iRV2 forum too, and one reply suggested that the trans temp "sending unit" (for dash gauges) is located on the transmission cooler hose (near the radiator). I don't see it. It was also suggested that I could use the Aladdin monitoring system to see transmission temp but I didn't think to check that during my last drive.

I think either the sender is bad or a wire may have fallen off. If the gauge measures resistance in its ground circuit to operate the gauge, I should be able to ground the sender wire and at least verify the gauge moves.

Does anyone know where this temperature sending unit is located?

Roy Warren Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Where is sensor for Transmission Temp (dash gauge) located?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 03:42:39 PM »
Mike,
I never used the transmission cooler gauge that is an analog gauge.  I always used the Aladdin input.  Neither of my temperature gauges (analog) ever showed anything near accurate.
Roy Warren
Roy Warren
2005 Patriot Thunder
Cat C-13

Mike Shumack

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 03:51:52 PM »
I will only rely on the Aladdin readings - thanks for that advice. I don't remember now if the Aladdin system has any kind of "alarm" or warning built-in to alert of high temps - or do I just need to keep the Engine/Trans status screen on the display while driving.

But I still want the dash gauge to work. I would like everything to work on this coach (as long as it doesn't cost too much).
I'll post back anything I find.

Bill Sprague

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 05:10:04 PM »
.... I don't remember now if the Aladdin system has any kind of "alarm" or warning built-in to alert of high temps...

It did in our '04 Monterey.  Using it was easy.  Programming was a bit harder. 

Bob Bulot

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 06:22:26 PM »
My trans temp guage didn't seem to work either.  When Aladdin shows my trans temp to be around 180 (normal flat level temp) the analog guage is pegged at cold.  I was concerned about it also, until this summer when, after a long uphill, the Aladdin showed more than 200, the analog guage started to climb a little.  I think you'll find that Beaver just didn't use a very accurate sender.

I love my Beaver, but the engineers clearly lost focus during their engineering from time to time.

Bill Sprague

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2017, 02:13:08 AM »
....I love my Beaver, but the engineers clearly lost focus during their engineering from time to time.

You are giving me a good laugh!  When Navistar briefly owned Beaver a guy named Bill showed up at an international rally in Las Vegas.  He held a well attended seminar.  At the end, someone suggested that Navistar had had the documentation long enough to answer technical questions.   His reply was that, in all that Navistar got, there was no evidence of any engineering.  Lots of design and assembly work, but no evidence of any engineers working at Beaver/Monaco. 

Our beloved Monterey was driven by us for 128,000 miles.  We loved it.  It was always a couple thousand pounds overweight for lack of "engineering".  The day after we bought it I drove it over the scales.  It was full of fuel, water and a few plastic dishes from an old trailer.  We had not "moved in" yet.   At that point is was 500 pounds overweight.  We were aimed at full timing and added a few hundred pounds of essential stuff.  It was further overweight, but we went on anyway. 

Don't expect "engineering".  That is a false hope!

Bob Bulot

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2017, 04:23:58 AM »
And in the Monaco World, it seems to be mostly Beavers.  I have had two Monacos, and neither showed any evidence of the kind of goofs my Beaver has.  Almost an irony that these coaches are called "Beavers" - one of the animal world's truly great engineers.  Sometimes, I think mine's called a Beaver because I'm constantly walking around in it saying "DAM!  (I crack me up!) ;D

George Harwell

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2017, 11:58:14 AM »
Same symptoms on my 03 Monterey. Changed the sensor first but no change. after a lengthy search finally located the gauge in Wildwood Fla. Installed it and it appeared to be working properly in the driveway but reverted to the previous mode of operation when I hit the highway. The Alladin sensor is inside the transmission so hoping it never fails. I can add 40 to the gauge reading and be close enough to be comfortable.

Mike Shumack

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2017, 03:42:23 PM »
I have not located my dash gauge sensor yet. Can you tell me where yours was located? I'm expecting to see a "two wire" sensor (like a coolant temp sensor on a car) somewhere on the transmission cooler hoses but I see nothing so far.

I'm in the process of changing the transmission fluid so everything is drained now. This would be a good time to replace the sensor - once I locate it.

Also, do you have the brand and part number for the sensor you bought?

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I did find this information Googling - which then lead me to the Beede 127346 search which I belive is a "TS4042" sender and available on Amazon for $18.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 05:50:02 PM by Mike Shumack »