Author Topic: Lost Neutral Connection  (Read 2342 times)

Bob Stone

• BAC Member
Lost Neutral Connection
« on: November 30, 2017, 07:53:35 PM »
My Aladdin reports that i have lost my neutral connection. The QD8000 generator starts but kicks out a Fault code Node 0 F8 and a Warning Node 2 of W205 which terminates AC power & battery charging. I'm dry camping.
I have in the past just cleared the fault & warning codes and problem solved. Today this simple remedy won't work.
 My electrical knowledge is beginner. Where do I start looking: generator, transfer switch, or Xantrex inverter? The electrical data on the Aladdin has produced XXXX's on both AC & DC for some time and I cannot locate the box that is supposed to be adjacent to the transfer switch to check those fuses.
Any advice on how I might be able to isolate the problem is most appreciated.
Thank you in advance for all suggestions and recommendations.

Bob Stone
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 08:22:44 PM by Bob Stone »
Bob Stone
'05 Monterey Laguna IV  Cat C-9

Bill Schneider

Re: Lost Neutral Connection
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 08:58:53 PM »
Bob,
I had a similar problem on my Onan 7500. In my case, the neutral terminal bar on the generator connection wiring block had broken from stress. This wiring block is on the corner of your generator. it connects the generator output wiring to the coach wiring. It is a black plastic block with fins separating the individual wires. The metal terminal bar goes between and connects the input and output wiring for each individual wire. Even if you are not comfortable with electrical wiring, you could visually inspect for this problem. The neutral wire is the white wire on the terminal block.  I suspect Onan had a problem with these terminal blocks because the replacement for mine was more robust in its construction. Do this inspection with the generator off for safety.
The above procedure is a little more complicated so I would first verify the transfer switch is not the problem. If you can get someone with electrical experience to help you, while you have the transfer switch open and the generator running, you can check the generator side of your transfer switch for a good neutral. If the neutral is good there, then check the output of the transfer switch. It you don't have good voltage there, the problem is your transfer switch. If you have good voltage through your transfer switch, the next step is to check your main AC distribution panel inside your coach. Given what you said about your electrical experience, I would recommend some professional help if it gets to this point.
Good luck,
Bill
The following users thanked this post: Bob Stone

Bob Stone

• BAC Member
Re: Lost Neutral Connection
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 05:23:50 AM »
Thank you for the suggestions Bill. I did a cursory inspection of the generator connections and dug into the transfer switch.
Interestingly I found the suspect fuses for the Aladdin AC monitor along with the toroidal transformers within the transfer switch box.  I had read these would be located in a separate but nearby junction box. I fear my problem there might require replacement of the expensive Aladdin AC and DC moduals.
 Thanks again. I'll let you know when and how problem was resolved...

Bob

Bob Stone
'05 Monterey Laguna IV  Cat C-9