Author Topic: CAT C-12 cranks great but won’t start. HELP!  (Read 3122 times)

Jeff Ramey

CAT C-12 cranks great but won’t start. HELP!
« on: January 26, 2018, 11:55:21 PM »
I haven’t started the coach in the last two weeks, but have had it on a battery minder constantly. The DW wants to go see the grand baby this weekend and the coach refuses to fire up. It cranks fast and strong but won’t light off. It has 1/2 tank of fuel and the oil and coolant levels are good. The only thing I can think of is maybe it has something to do with that cold spat we had last week where temps got down to 0F for a day or so. I purchased some starter fluid but spraying it in vent/air intake on the back side of the coach has not helped.

2000 Patriot Thunder C-12

Pat Long

Re: CAT C-12 cranks great but won’t start. HELP!
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2018, 12:26:26 AM »
Don't Use Starter Fluid!  Can you tell if there is fuel in the Racor fuel filter in the filter bay? 

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2018, 02:03:06 AM »
Do you have the engine preheat feature where the AquaHot can warm up the engine?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 01:18:53 PM by David T. Richelderfer »
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2018, 02:37:37 AM »
Jeff,
There are several things that could be your problem, but the most likely thing is a air leak in your fuel supply line. Have you checked the O-rings on the prefilter for the primary fuel filter, assuming that you are still running the OEM Racor primary fuel filter? If there are any signs of fuel leakage at either end of the prefilter, you have a vacuum leak and need to replace the O-rings.

There are 4 O-rings (2 number 208 and 2 number 114) that seal between the plastic prefilter Racor part number 300200 and the metal housing. However, if there are any cracks in the plastic prefilter, you will need to replace it as well assuming your priming pump still works OK, if not just replace the primary filter with a new one that includes a priming pump.

You can use small amounts of starting fluid on a C12 if you are experienced in working on a diesel engine, but you should never use starting fluid on the smaller Cat engines because they have an intake air heater that can cause an explosion in the intake manifold resulting in dangerous and expensive engine damage. Therefore, since some owners do not understand the difference in engines or the proper procedure, I tell the average owner to not use starting fluid (ether). 

Gerald       

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2018, 03:14:54 AM »
Jeff, I would suggest not use of starting fluid with your engine. Many people do not understand
use of starting fluid will settle in the bottom of the Charge air cooler, with engine pre-heat
connected into system thing will South real quick. Understanding that you have already used
starting fluid and engine will not light up problem is else where. I would suggest you are not
getting any power to the ECM, no power to ECM there is no power to your injector of which
is electrical on side and mechanical on the other side. Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic

Mike Shumack

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2018, 11:22:54 AM »
Jeff, there are some great videos on YouTube on the Cat diesels from Adept Ape. See this one on "no start troubleshooting" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAsq9X_ytrs