Author Topic: RV Solar Panel Installation Advice Needed  (Read 2986 times)

Bart Mix

RV Solar Panel Installation Advice Needed
« on: January 25, 2018, 12:36:57 AM »
Attention RV Solar Panel Owners - I need some advice in how/where to install the solar wiring cable from the roof - down somewhere to my controller (inside or out - location to be determined too?) & then to my battery compartment. I have 4 slides, 3 AC's, 3 power vents, & 2 waste tank vents on our 07 HR 42PLQ, but none of those sources appear to be good candidates to drop the cable? Perhaps I can use the rear exterior air intake for the engine, which is located at the rear (road side) of the coach w/n 18" from the roof, but on the opposite side of the battery compartment? What/where do you other RV solar panel users recommend?

Thanks!

Bart from VA
07 HR 42PLQ Scepter

Steve Funk

Re: RV Solar Panel Installation Advice Needed
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 01:58:21 AM »
I think mine runs down the refrigerator vent. 

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 03:11:49 PM »
Bart,
Like Steve said, it is common to run solar panel wiring down the refrigerator vent, but since most of the HR models that you have locate the refrigerator in a slide, that probably will not work for you. Also running down to the engine air intake would just get you into the air intake and you would have to drill through it in the engine compartment to run to a controller and then to your battery bay. I would find a closet near the battery bay, drill through the roof above it being careful to avoid any wiring, run the wire down to a controller in the closet, seal the roof with the type of wiring cover used in satellite dish installations, and then drill through the floor to run the wiring to the battery bay. This would give you the shortest wire run (important for solar panel installations) and  cleanest looking system.

Gerald 

Bart Mix

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2018, 04:15:32 AM »
Gerald - You are correct - my refer is in a slide. Your suggestion is very close to my latest consideration. Since we have our closets in a  slide, I'm considering just putting the controller in a convenient overhead cabinet just below the roof. Shortest cable runs & I may either leave a monitor in the same cabinet as the Charge Controller or route the RJ11 telephone cabling to other locations - as those runs can be infinite. What might I be missing with this plan?
Thanks!
Bart from VA

Gerald Farris

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2018, 02:24:49 PM »
Bart,
I do not see anything that you are missing. I would take the same approach.

Gerald

Bart Mix

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2018, 04:24:03 AM »
Gerald - OK, that will be plan for now! Once installed & tested I will post my results.
Thanks!
Bart from VA
07 HR 42PLQ Scepter
GMC 2500HD in tow