Author Topic: Want to replace ABS sensors  (Read 3758 times)

Christopher Clark

Want to replace ABS sensors
« on: January 28, 2018, 12:51:24 AM »
Hello, can anyone point me in the right direction to find replacement ABS sensors. I have a 2002 Monterey, ISC 350 Cummins, Allison 3000, Magnum chassis.
Thanks, Chris

Just to clarify my question, I'm looking to replace the wheel sensors on 1 front and 1 rear wheel. I think they where overheated at one point.
Thanks,
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 02:00:49 PM by Christopher Clark »

Mike Shumack

Re: Want to replace ABS sensors
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 07:39:06 PM »
I don't know for sure which brand sensor your coach uses - but here is a link to a Meritor installation pdf.

Whatever you have it should be similar to this. Maybe you can get a tag/number off it - or someone else will come along and tell you what your coach uses.

What makes you think you need a sensor? Are you getting an ABS error code or light?

http://www.meritorwabco.com/MeritorWABCO_document/tp02102.pdf

Christopher Clark

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 12:48:25 PM »
I had a caliper not releasing after storage. Brake was very hot, ABS light came on, stayed on. Sensor visually appears melted. After brakes cooled they functioned fine for entire trip. If I replace sensors  are they,"plug and play" ??

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 02:13:17 PM »
Chris,
Yes, the sensors are plug and play, but on most coaches it can be difficult to replace the sensor without wheel removal. However, the ABS light may remain on for a while because of the trouble code that is still in the ABS controller from the failed sensor unless the code is cleared.

Gerald

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2018, 03:22:19 PM »
I had a sticking brake and melted the left front sensor. I replaced it myself and it reset the abs dash light after driving a bit. There should be a part number right on the wire, thats how I found mine by searching the part number.
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Christopher Clark

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2018, 04:03:40 PM »
My sensors push into place through the back of the wheel. There is a compression sleeve/socket made of stainless or chrome steel. They look pretty easy to replace, not sure if there is any distance calibration required. When the weather cooperates I'll go back under the rig and try and find a tag or part number.

On another note can someone tell me what the two combined solenoids located in battery bay are for? They are wired together and feed two large fuses. I suspect they are activated when using the inverter, as their power supply is from the coach batteries.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2018, 01:47:12 PM »
Chris,
It sounds like you are referring to the battery boost solenoid and the salesman's switch solenoid. The battery boost solenoid only activates to tie both battery banks together when you press the boost switch in the driver's area. The other solenoid is controlled by the salesman's switch by the front door and it controls the 12 volt power in the coach. Neither solenoid is tied to the inverter.

Gerald

Christopher Clark

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2018, 11:45:18 PM »
Gerald, I'm not sure but I had my wife activate the boost switch while I had a tester on the solenoids. They did not power up. Also tested while the salesman switch was turned off, no change?? The only thing (I think)I haven't tried is turning on the inverter??

Christopher Clark

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2018, 01:13:55 PM »
LaMonte, if you are still following this post can you tell me the path you found on your front left sensor. I did find a part number, Wabco 4410329000. The sensor leaves the front left wheel climbs above the wheel and goes through the frame. I was wondering if yours is similar, where the sensor cable goes after it goes through the frame?
The part number found on the rear sensor, Wabco 4410328090.
I'm having trouble finding these sensors as single units online if anyone can help?

Pat Long

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2018, 02:16:40 PM »