Author Topic: Hydraulic Fluid Tanks RVA 1997 Patriot  (Read 5634 times)

Richard And Babs Ames

Hydraulic Fluid Tanks RVA 1997 Patriot
« on: January 10, 2011, 02:27:47 PM »
My RVA jacks controller panel is giving an intermittent low fluid indication. I know of two tanks one for the fan system and one for the power steering. I thought the fan also serviced the jacks. Any imput to a third fill point would be appreciated.

Bob McCORMACK

Re: Hydraulic Fluid Tanks RVA 1997 Patriot
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 07:05:43 PM »
 My 96 Patriot has a separate tank for the jacks which is located just past the battery box.  It is accessible through the battery bay door.   Mine is a tall cylinder shape.   The fan reservoir is located at the very back of the engine compartment on the same side.  

Racer Bob

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 05:09:09 PM »
We have a power steering reservoir at the rear and a rectangle for the fan motor in the right rear with the remote mounted fuel filters, and I guess the third one next to the batteries ahead of the rear one.

RVA Technical Support was very aware, and stated that the same motor operates the slide out also, and the hoses used by then Safari/Beaver were not very good quality, and may be the cause of low fluid. The RVA technical support also stated their system does not share fluid with any other system.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 05:42:04 AM by 14 »

Larry Fritz

• BAC Member
  • 98 Patriot Ticonderoga - 37' Blue/White, 3126B CAT
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 06:13:05 PM »
I have a 98 Patriot 37'. Follow "racerbob's" post.

Open battery door.
Look just left of that compartment.
A tall black cylindrical unit (about 6" diameter by 2' high or so) is visible. At the very top of that unit is a fluid fill plug (and or dipstick).
To add fluid you will likely need to buy a cheap transfer pump at a auto parts store since the distance from the plug to the bottom of the coach floor is not very much. I had to pump the fluid into mine.

I have had to change out my entire unit so am quite familiar with the setup; but I don't remember how long your coach is so maybe the location is slightly different.

The whole unit  has the reservoir, control valves, motor, etc as one assembly.

Hope this helps, Larry
Larry Fritz

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 09:11:58 PM »
The RVA technician said they had to redesign the fluid tank because Beaver wanted to mount it verticle instead of horizontal. I found the tank and motor and found that ours is mounted in a hrizontal fashion so access to the fill/vent appears to be easier than the vertical set up. It even looks like I will be able to get to it by removing the paper towel bucket or from the other side. It is not accessable from the battery compartment as that is tne motor side.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 01:54:38 PM by 72 »

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 02:09:07 PM »
Was able to top off the hydraulic (Dexron VI) fuid yesterday in a couple of minites without a problem except for getting dirty. Only took a pint and the horizontal mount allowed plenty of room for the use of a small funnel. Had to use a creeper and reach up and pour by feel, but did not spill too much.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 12:30:45 AM by 14 »