Author Topic: Possible wheel nut/stud issue  (Read 2772 times)

Eric Palmer

Possible wheel nut/stud issue
« on: February 25, 2018, 05:54:34 PM »
I had a buddy stop by the other day and pointed out that he thinks the studs on the from wheels should have at minimum 2 threads showing. Is he right?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 06:31:14 PM by Eric Palmer »

Pat Long

Re: Possible wheel nut/stud issue
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2018, 06:50:02 PM »
The studs in the picture are for Steel rims and not for use with Aluminum rims.   There should be some of the stud threads showing so that the lug nut has Full grip of the wheel stud itself.  You will need to have the studs pressed out and New ones pressed back in.  You can also use a Big Hammer but the link will show how a quality shop does it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zg_pQlOpKXc

Eric Palmer

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2018, 06:55:44 PM »
Thats what I was afraid of. Add another job to the list! Thanks.

harry kew

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2018, 01:11:54 AM »
I think if you pull one of the nuts off you will find it has a shoulder on it that gives enough threads for the nut

Eric Palmer

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2018, 01:27:45 AM »
I think if you pull one of the nuts off you will find it has a shoulder on it that gives enough threads for the nut

I'm not sure what you mean. Could you expand your explanation? I don't have a large enough torque wrench to put a nut back on, so I would probably take it to a shop to inspect what it is I have. I want to make sure it's safe and legal in Canadas and the US.

harry kew

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2018, 03:35:54 AM »
I have the same nuts on my wheels, when I first seen them I thought they where not safe

When you take one off to make sure I think you find they have a shoulder that goes in just about the thickness of the rim giving you lots of thread

I have had my wheels off a few times in the US and Canada at major tire shops that were very fussy about wheels and tire on coaches that said they were the proper nut for that wheel

Eric Palmer

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2018, 03:59:59 AM »
Thanks Harry, I really appreciate your explanation. I will have the mechanics pull one off when I have it in for an unrelated issue and just confirm, but I feel much better about them now. Thanks again!!!

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2018, 04:17:54 AM »
I’m no wheel expert and wasn’t going to comment, until Harry expressed what was also my first impression from your pix.  Other than apparent marks from either zealous air sockets or missing wheel nut caps, I didn’t note a problem.  It looks like the not uncommon configuration of a sleeved or necked, countersunk nut that reaches deep to engage wheel studs. 

That said, the stud ends all (at least those visible) appear to extend to the same point in the nuts, although the taper doesn’t appear to evenly circumcontact the hole ridge.  So assuming proper torque I might get an expert shop’s opinion in case Pat is right, but not sweat it too much in the interim.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Eric Palmer

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2018, 04:50:01 AM »
Thanks Joel. I'm glad you wrote something. The more people that express there opinions the better. I understand that I will still have to perform my own due diligence in checking the nuts, but I'm much more comfortable with not having to do that right away, as I have other maintenance issues to deal with. Thanks again!