Author Topic: Toilet Issue  (Read 2652 times)

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
Toilet Issue
« on: February 26, 2018, 03:38:07 PM »
Recently, I've noticed that some times, the little bit of water that is in the bottom of the bowl after using it, disappears. The black tank has gone from 0 to 68% full in as little as 2 days after dumping. Our normal time is 6-7 days. I'm thinking the black ring that the ball closes upon is faulty. Is there something I can put on it that will help it seal better? Is it something that is easily replaced?

Thanks.

Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Gerald Farris

Re: Toilet Issue
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 04:27:30 PM »
Stan,
You just need to either clean (first step) or replace the flush ball seal. You can clean the seal with a standard toilet brush by holding the ball open (consult owner's manual on some electronic models) and inserting the brush into the opening and turning it against the sealing surface. However, if this does not stop the leak, a new seal will be needed, and there are numerous YouTube videos with instructions for the replacement like this one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vi3TRivsNlQ

Gerald

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 05:19:23 PM »
Thank you, Gerald. Very much appreciated. I'm on it. We are heading home on Thursday and there's a Camping World next to our campground in Nashville. Will be a good time to do the project.
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Mike Shumack

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2018, 05:20:44 PM »
Why would the Black tank be filling up so fast?

I would expect the toilet bowl to be dry but not causing Black tank to fill up.

Is there some sort of "automatic bowl fill" device that keeps adding water to the bowl when it is low (which then leaks past the seal into the tank)? Or maybe Owner just keeps manually adding more water the bowl everytime he/she passes by it.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 05:22:15 PM by Mike Shumack »

Gerald Farris

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2018, 06:08:02 PM »
Mike,
There is no "automatic bowl fill" device on our RV toilets. Apparently, there has been extra water added to the toilet to compensate for the leaking seal.

Gerald

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2018, 06:13:21 PM »
Age, and some other reasons compel us to use the toilet often. When the ball comes back up, after flushing, the water continues to run for a few seconds to add water to the "sealed" bowl. When we come back to use it again, we notice the fill water is gone. Sometimes within just minutes. That means we have a bad seal. We didn't pay attention to it until just recently when we noticed our black tank was filling way more rapidly than usual.
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2018, 07:04:16 PM »
Our coach has the Magnum Opus electric toilet.  It does not have a keep-full function, but does have a re-fill function after flushing.  Under the back lid there are two switches - the Water Level Switch and Mode Switch.  When drycamping we place the Water Level Switch to LOW water fill.  When at FHUs, such as at a RV park, we place the Water Level Switch to HIGH water fill.  We rarely use the MID water fill switch position.  The other switch, the Mode Switch, has two positions - Normal and Service.  To clean the bottom of the bowl's seal - where the ball rises to mate with the seal - and the ball, place the Mode Switch on Service and the ball will retract and stay retracted until the switch is placed back to its Normal position.

We occasionally have to clean the seal and ball using a standard toilet bowl cleaning brush.  I usually try to clean it quickly while the ball is retracted during the flushing operation.  Once in a while, I will need to switch it to Service to allow more time for brushing.  Note: Don't have the roof vent fans running while cleaning the toilet in the Service position - for obvious reasons.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2018, 08:56:27 PM »
Stan, be sure to know your brand and model number if you opt to go in for a new seal.  CW carries a “universal” kit I once got for ours that could be the same as yours, a Sealand Traveler 510 Plus.  The kit is now just “on hand” if I need it because it turned out a good cleaning like Gerald described did the trick.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat