Author Topic: Carefree slide awning fabric removal  (Read 7240 times)

Robert Adkins

Carefree slide awning fabric removal
« on: January 15, 2011, 06:51:19 PM »
I know there has been discussion about the Carefree thread degrading on awnings. Well mine has done that. I have the Omega 11 slideout awning (slide awning that expands to cover the windows) and I need to remove the fabric for re-sewing. The question is, what is the best way to releived the spring pressure, I believe the full case needs to be removed, but is there a way to maintain the spring pressure and still  allow fabric removal or do I need to unwind the spring.  Just hoping there is an easy way without disassembling the spring mechanism.

Thanks,

Bob Adkins

2004 Monertrey Cumming 350

Jim Shaw

Re: Carefree slide awning fabric removal
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 02:37:05 PM »
Bob, You will need to relieve the pressure or lock the arm. To relieve the pressure you will need to carefully remove the forward or left side arm bieng sure to hold on to it. as it could inflict serious damage, if you let it go. Then slowly unwind it until there is no more presure, again being careful not to let it unwind by itself. You should also count the turns so you can reinstall it with the same pressure. Carefree also put a hole in the arm that allows you to install a large cotter key that will lock the arm and not let it turn. The problem I have had with that is finding the hole and lining it up. I have found that drilling a small hole through the tube and awning arm with the awning fully extended, and screwing in a screw will lock the arm in place worked the best for me. You will need someone on the roof of the coach and someone at the outer end, to remove the awning and reinstall it. Once you have done it, it's not a hard job. Just be sure not to let the arm unwind by itself, or it can damage the coach, or worst yet YOU. I am assuming your 2004 is like my 2003, and the arm is wound from the left or forward end, but you be sure.  I hope this helps.
Jim
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 04:12:29 PM by 14 »

Robert Adkins

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 06:08:21 PM »
Jim, Thanks for the input, I suspected I would need to unwind the spring but was hoping for another solution, Anyway, I now have to psych myself up for the project.

Thanks again, Bob

2004 Monterey
350 Cumings

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 06:57:24 PM »
http://www.carefreeofcolorado.com/carefree/products?action=techrv The Carefree Awning Support Site and you can open a pdf with complete instructions for your awning and fabric removal and replacement.  

Robert Adkins

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 09:54:51 PM »
Thanks Richard,

I had previously checked the Carefree website but the only info I could find had the owner manual I already had.  It wasn't clear how to easily remove the fabric. Jim's reply cleared up my questions.  I was looking for a short cut, but no such luck.

Thanks for your help,

Bob

George Harwell

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 02:58:47 PM »

Robert, Jim explained it very well but I will add one suggestion. As Jim said, the awning arm has a hole for a cotter pin to lock the roller for easy removal and installation. Sure makes life easy if you can use this feature. With the cover removed try rotating the tube counterclockwise while probing for the hole in the arm. I use a nail and you may have to slide the tube fore or aft to locate the hole. It is not an easy task so another set of hands would be recommended. If you can accomplish this then the rest will be fairly easy. With the room extended the number of turns will be 25, if you use the window awning position , 29 turns. God luck and be safe.