Author Topic: Air Line schematic for 2005 Patriot wanted  (Read 3302 times)

Mike Shumack

Air Line schematic for 2005 Patriot wanted
« on: March 02, 2018, 07:44:05 PM »
I'm doing some troubleshooting on my Patriot - trying to find some air leaks and learn how the system is plumbed.

I found an Air System schematic here for a 2006 Monterey. I don't know how much that one differs from the 2005 Patriot. If anyone has the air plumbing diagram for the 2005 Patriot let me know.

1) Does the 2005 Beaver use "Ping Tanks" for its front Air Bags as shown on the drawing (I didn't see any when I was under my coach looking around)?

2) Is the tank connected to the Air Dryer a "split tank" (a Wet tank (the upper tank half in drawing) and a Primary tank (lower tank half in drawing))? If so, that may explain the two air feed lines shown connecting the two tanks in the drawing (the top line, shown highlighted, feeds from the Wet tank to the Primary tank, and the lower highlighted line feeds from the Primary tank to the Secondary.

3) where are the "protection valves" located (the valve that would close if air pressure in one of the braking systems was to drop to prevent air drop in the other brake system. Would those be the "B5 and "B3" shown in the triangles? The Monterey diagram I have does not have a legend showing the meaning of the numbers.

Thanks again.

Jim Nichols

• BAC Member
Re: Air Line schematic for 2005 Patriot wanted
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2018, 10:39:18 PM »
On our 05 Monterey there are two main air tanks side by side in the center bay between the frame rails. All air manifolds front and rear for brakes and bags are above the axles outside of the bay's. No ping tank that I've seen. Or Should I say never looked for them.
Jim/Natasha Nichols
05 Monterey 36'
400 Cat C9

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2018, 02:04:03 AM »
Mike,
Check the Coach Assist Technical Library. There is a complete set of 05 Monterey manuals and diagrams. Should be applicable to your coach also.
Steve
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Mike Shumack

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2018, 11:46:05 AM »
Thanks Steve. The 2005 Monterey zip file has the same Air Schematic (2006 Monterey) that I attached to my earlier post.
Maybe it is the same (or close to) as the '05 Patriot. I'll start crawling around under my coach this weekend.

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2018, 03:16:52 PM »
Mike,
I would assume that the air system on my 06 PT would be about the same as your 05, with that said: I have one big air tank in the rear and one of the same size in the front, I believe that from the Air/Dryer it feeds both tanks and then from the tanks to the HWH leveling/ride manifolds and then to the air bags of the suspension system, I have three manifolds in the rear and one in the front.
The braking system comes off the air tanks in a separate line to the control valves through the protection valve to the brake cans. That's the basics of how the system is set up. Two completely separate systems one is suspension and the other braking.
I have never found a leak in the braking system only in the manifold valving and air fittings for the leveling system. Does yours leak air all the time, brakes set/released, does it loose air when applying the pedal? There is probably a 100 or more fittings and valves that could leak air.
The only way I have found leaks is to raise the coach up and block the frame for safety and get in and soap any and all fittings, valves, solenoid valves. I have found many push to connect air fittings leaking, I have replaced these with Parker Brass Air Brake fittings.
There is no easy way that I have found after all these years with trucks to find air leaks, trial and error, soapy water, and listen for leaks.

Mike Shumack

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2018, 05:38:53 PM »
My 2005 has a tank at the rear (over the driveshaft area) and two tanks on the outside of the frame accessible when the main slide is out (road side). So mine is not like the 2006 Monterey diagram.

Today I added the fluorescent dye to the system. Then I built up air pressure and now I'm waiting for it to leak down. I may do this step two or three times to give the dye the best chance to distribute through the system. Then I'll crawl back under with my blacklight.

I also have a bottle of leak detector solution. I hope the dye works but if not, I'll start spraying everything.

Attached is a photo of the tanks on the exterior of frame rail.

Jim Nichols

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2018, 10:24:23 AM »
Spray a soap solution on the 5/8" 90 degree brass fittings. Reach up and see if you can wiggle or move them. Had to replace two that leaked at the tank. The newer style does not swivel.
Jim/Natasha Nichols
05 Monterey 36'
400 Cat C9

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2018, 02:49:59 PM »
Spray a soap solution on the 5/8" 90 degree brass fittings. Reach up and see if you can wiggle or move them. Had to replace two that leaked at the tank. The newer style does not swivel.

Jim, Totally agree get rid of the stupid swivel fittings, had a couple 1/2" ones, replaced with Brass air brake fittings. When they build these things it is cost and speed with assembly and ease of assembly, so we as owners have to replace half of the crap 10 yrs later.

Jim Nichols

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2018, 12:31:19 PM »
Thank you Lee and your reply made me re-read my post and the fitting was 5/8" air hose 3/8" pipe thread 90 degree brass that is needed. Some air swivel fittings are 1/2" pipe thread. Empty air, press the ring back on the fitting to release the 5/8" air line and remove. Walk into any Napa parts store lay the fitting on the counter and with confidence say you need this air fitting but without the swivel. That way you don't have tell them the size. Love show and tell when your bride says whatcha doing now when handing her another receipt.
Jim/Natasha Nichols
05 Monterey 36'
400 Cat C9