Author Topic: Leak from the coolant overfill tank  (Read 3224 times)

jeffprupis

Leak from the coolant overfill tank
« on: March 03, 2018, 01:53:12 AM »
LOOKING FOR ADVICE: We seem to have a leak coming from the bottom of the overfill tank for the coolant. Seems to be coming from the neck at the bottom of the tank where the black 1.5" hose attaches. Looking for suggestions for field repair. JB Weld?  Currently at Guadalupe NP @ 150 miles from El Paso if anyone can recommend a CAT shop or RV Shop in area..  CAT C9 400HP TIA
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 02:06:15 AM by Jeff Prupis »

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Leak from the coolant overfill tank
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2018, 02:20:03 AM »
Jeff,
JB Weld might work to get you to El Paso if you get right product for the type of plastic used for the tank.  The plastic tank is leak prone at the necks. Suggest you replace it with a metal tank. Solves issue. See pics of mine; started leaking from top neck. Upon removal also found leaks at rear connections. (I added separate expansion tank, but not really needed).
Steve
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2018, 02:29:12 AM »
Will JB Weld stick to plastic?  I am thinking not.  Anyways, as mentioned the JB Weld may get you to El Paso... assuming you're headed that direction.  There are several RV repair firms in El Paso as shown by http://www.rvservicereviews.com/.

What about Lexel?  It sticks to about anything... even if what you put it on is wet.  In the end, though, a replacement metal tank is probably in your future... as one will likely be in my future.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2018, 09:24:49 AM »
I’ve used epoxy like JB Weld on many plastic things, but you have to use files and/or sandpaper to roughen up the immediate adhering surfaces so the compound can get a grip.  Since Jeff’s issue is at the tank bottom and under fluid weight pressure, he will want to empty the tank to apply and let the epoxy cure.  The rougher the surface and the broader and thicker the coverage, the better.

Another thing I’ve tried with some success recently is a product found at my Ace Hardware in the glue section.  It’s a gritty fine powder in a small squeeze bottle called “Johnny Weld”.  You squeeze/spread super glue on the cracked area of a broken object and pour the Johnny Weld on it.  It solidifies immediately.  You can drip more super glue on that and add Johnny Weld to build up your patch.  It’s not permanent but may get you to a repair shop.  I discovered not to use gel type super glues, just liquid, and prefer Loctite’s “Professional Liquid” in the 0.7 oz. blue bottle.

I often squeeze superglue into a crack to help stabilize it, or fasten 2 pieces back together, before applying either epoxy or JWeld over the break. 

There is a learning curve with this, like its best to roughen the adherent area well so the mix gets a grip, just like with epoxy.  Otherwise polyethylene is a really tough stick for any glue.  You don’t have to wait long for the Johnny Weld to set up like you do with epoxy, and there’s no mixing ahead of application.

Joel
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 09:27:08 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Mike Shumack

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2018, 12:03:52 PM »
After you make your field repair - if you need a more permanent fix, Source Engineering has a replacement metal tank. https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=kDwseW33TE8
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 12:07:47 PM by Mike Shumack »

jeffprupis

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2018, 01:50:37 AM »
Seem to have fixed it using self-fusing silicon tape. Will see how it holds. I will replace the tank ASAP. Best price on steel tanks? Thanks for all the advice.
The following users thanked this post: Bob Stone

Randy Stephenson

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2018, 02:53:33 AM »
Jeff:

I battled small leaking issues in the lower hose area too, once one leak was stopped, miles later another one appeared.  I ordered a steel tank from BCS (they had one in stock) , installation was very easy and it works perfectly.

Randy
Randy & Jane Stephenson
2004 Beaver Patriot Thunder
Lexington 40' 3 Slides
CAT C12 505 HP

Paulhowell

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2018, 05:22:08 PM »
Jeff,
I put a metal tank on from BCS as well and it fit perfectly. I also put an overflow tank on similar to Steve’s (Autozone) and it works well. I notice that it frequently changes levels. Sometimes it’s empty and frequently it’s half full so I suppose it I hadn’t installed it, some coolant would be lost so I’m glad I installed it.

Paul
1999 Patriot Thunder
Cat C-12

Chuck Jackson

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2018, 11:04:57 PM »
Not sure what BCS charges, but Northwest RV supply has them for $397.95

http://www.nwrvsupply.com/product/BU01806583ST.html

2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4328
2008 Beaver Contessa 40' Pacifica 425 Cat - Sold