Author Topic: tire pressure on 2008 Beaver Contessa  (Read 7033 times)

Steven Harper

tire pressure on 2008 Beaver Contessa
« on: January 16, 2011, 10:37:08 PM »
We have a 2008 Beaver Contessa tag axle.  The coach has been sitting in a heated garage for the past 3-4 months.  I noticed the right front tire looked a little low.  It checked the pressure and it says 90psi.  I went ahead and checked all my tires including the tag and here are tire pressures:   Right front 90psi, Right Duals and the tag are all 72psi.    Left front is at 88 psi.  The left duals and tag are also at 72psi.

I do not have the ability to weight the coach any time soon.  We travel periodically and are not heavily loaded.  We are planning on going to Texas the middle of February and I was wondering if I should be concerned about the tire pressure.  I read somewhere that the psi will drop when tires are cold and not is use.  We keep the garage at a minimum temperature of 48 degrees.  I don't understand how the right front tire looks lower then those that only have 72psi in them.  Will psi increase as we travel with the coach???  The tires we have on the coach are Goodyear tires 295/80R22.5, all were made in early 2007.  Should all four tires be same psi since I am not sure what my weight is at this time.   Any help would be appreciated.  Thank You.

Karen

Bill White

Re: tire pressure on 2008 Beaver Contessa
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 02:14:24 AM »
There should be a plate with the coach weight and tire pressure for your coach.  Mine is on the lower wall behind the driver seat.   I would say that the tires should be inflated cold to 95 psi.   See what the plate says for your coach.  The air carries the weight.  I recommend that you have the coach weighed on each wheel.  The tire manufactuer has pressure printed on the side of the tires for min and max pressure along with the weigh they will carry.

LEAH DRAPER

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 03:08:06 PM »
Karen, I have a 2008 Contessa (no tag) so I am responding with my knowledge and experience.  No doubt you will get others comments/opinions, but I don't think we are that different with respect to proper tire pressures.  Hope this helps some.

I do not have the ability to weight the coach any time soon.  We travel periodically and are not heavily loaded.  We are planning on going to Texas the middle of February and I was wondering if I should be concerned about the tire pressure. 
     YES, you should be CONCERNED.

I read somewhere that the psi will drop when tires are cold and not is use.  
     YES, you heard correctly.
     Even though my tires are set to 110 front, 105 rear, they can drop to
     105 or lower (front) 98-100  (rear) at night and will then go up as the sun and
     the temps outside increase, even without driving the coach.

Will psi increase as we travel with the coach???
     YES, but don't use that understanding to to bring the tires up to the correct           pressure for traveling!

The tires we have on the coach are Goodyear tires 295/80R22.5, all were made in early 2007. 
     The axel carrying capacity for your coach (the MAX LOAD they can carry) are as      follows:
          front 14600 lbs, rear 20000 lbs, tag 1000 lbs.

Based upon GOODYEAR TIRES FOR THIS SIZE the front tires should probably be          110-115 psi;     the rear 100 psi (probably the tag the same)
     These pressures should be taken or set when cold (before driving in AM)

If you do not have the ability to weigh each side or tire location, you should probably just use the axel carrying capacity as a guide.

Should all four tires be same psi since I am not sure what my weight is at this time.
     NO

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 04:51:17 PM »
Long term storage: Tire manufactures reccomend keeping the tires inflated to the maximum PSI allowed by the tire or wheel (whitchever is lower) regardless of weights.

http://www.rvsafety.com/ is a good source of information.

Steven Harper

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 10:08:56 PM »
Thanks so much for everyone help.  I will have tires adjusted.  Knowledge is power and I appreciate anything I can learn from all who have much more experience than I do.  Thanks again everyone.

Karen

Gil_Johnson

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 11:44:47 PM »
I have the same unit.  115psi (cold) front axle and 90 psi(cold) all rear tires.

Gil