Author Topic: Solar Panel  (Read 11212 times)

Bob Bulot

Re: Solar Panel
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2018, 11:20:10 PM »
I did remember, Jim.  I ran the house batteries down to a Reading on the Magnum of 11.7 Volts.  At this point, still no Amperage showing on the Solar line, but the House Bat line is showing 2amps charging, with all possible other charging sources turned off.  Can't help but think this is the controller working.  Some current may also be going to the chassis batteries, but no way to tell without one of those current detectors, which I can't sell to the Finance Director. (About this time each year, after a winter's worth of repairing stuff I broke during the summer, there reaches a point when she gets tired of seeing the steady stream of eBay and Amazon boxes showing up on the front porch ;D).

Jim Edwards

• BAC Member
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2018, 01:17:07 PM »
I know the AMAZON pain as well. Going through the same thing myself. We will be going to Gillette and Farmington this year as the plans currently set. I carry a meter with me that would work. If you are going to either let me know and we can take a look at it. Jim
Jim Edwards
2005 Monterey Laguna III, 40 ft Cat C9
2007 Country Coach Affinity 45 ft Cummins 600
15 Grand Cherokee

Bob Bulot

« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2018, 04:39:19 PM »
Thanks, Jim

Still planning Summer 2018, although I’ve shown an amazing ability to be at the opposite end of the country during BAC events.

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2018, 04:48:45 PM »
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Bob Bulot

« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2018, 09:24:46 PM »
Hi Jim,

Just finalized enough of Summer 2018 to be able to commit to Gillette.  Looking forward to meeting you and others on the Forum then!

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2018, 09:27:01 PM »
It’s hard to beat the quality of a Fluke instrument.  Though I have a Craftsman clampmeter, its relatively low material quality recently meant an aggravating failure right when I really needed it.  An hour of disassembly and reassembly got it back to work, but the event led me to research more reputable replacement possibilities.

Of course that usually comes at a cost, but how much is my time and blood pressure worth?  I haven’t ordered it yet, but a few weeks ago put this one on my wait list for when another event or my CFO or both incentivize it’s purchase:
http://www.fluke.com/fluke/inen/electrical-testers/clamp-meters/fluke-362.htm?PID=74568

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XvaBVQoaH-E

It’ll do what I need it to, likely be there when I need it, and is one of the less costly of the Fluke options.

The Southwire 14070T is a quality built and very accurate meter too, but isn’t a clamp style;  you have to put its leads in-line between power source and draw source in order to get a current (amp) reading.  Though clamp style ammeters may not be as precisely accurate, for most of our needs their ease of use dictates their advantage.

Joel
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 11:26:20 PM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat