Author Topic: Fuel water separator spin on filter  (Read 2205 times)

Eric Wallace

Fuel water separator spin on filter
« on: March 29, 2018, 01:05:26 AM »
Has anyone run into the problem of not being able to remove any of the spin on filters?  I installed the electric fuel priming pump kit on my 2001 Monterey last year.  It came with the filter already installed by Caterpillar.  I am now trying to replace the filter and cannot get the original off.  I have a very strong strap filter wrench that has always worked for me with just my standard 1/2" ratchet drive handle.  Today I put a 3 foot pipe on it as a cheater bar.  It began to crumple and crush the filter, but it still won't budge.  (Yes, I'm turning it the right way.)  I have tried spraying WD40 in the joint gap around the periphery several times and tapping, but no help.  Has anyone run into this?  Any ideas on what to try next.  I'm afraid too much more force and I'll crack the $500 aluminum pump/filter housing.     

Doug Allman

Re: Fuel water separator spin on filter
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2018, 12:21:50 PM »
Eric,  I would get a hold of Dave Atherton as he is CAT Mechanic and should be able to shed some light on your problem. 605-999-0720

Eric Wallace

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2018, 06:57:37 PM »
Thanks for the response, and suggestion, Doug.
I did hear from Dave, who gave me some explanation and next procedures to try.
I'll copy his comments below, in case it might help someone else in the future...

What has happened, the rubber seal on top of filter was not lubed ( little grease or engine on rubber seal ring between the filter
and housing ) . There is two ways to remove the old filter, first take a long strong screw driver than just under the top filter and
Drive it through the filter staying on the side of threads so the threads that filter screws into acts as a pivotal point to get leverage.
Be extra sure you are removing filter turning counter clockwise. Used this method and should work. Second plan B, cut the filter
Into about 3 inches below filter top, at this point use little gas torch from open bottom that you just exposed and apply heat upward to outside edge of filter. After warming up metal steel on filter on top take the long screw driver and turn off . What your doing
Is heating metal on filter and the heat transfers heat to rubber gasket and releases the stuck rubber gasket to fuel filter.
Last have a charged garden hose right next to where you are working. There will not be a flash fire but have water hose to cool
Things off. Dave Atherton RetiredCat mechanic

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2018, 08:57:28 PM »
Have to support Dave here, Eric, though he doesn’t really need it.  My brotherinlaw was a regional service rep for Oldsmobile div. of GM.  Like Dave, he knew his stuff. 

Once in the late 70’s when the oil filter on my cabin cruiser refused to come off while it’s trailer was parked in front of his Seattle home, and I was prepping for a salmon trip to the San Juan’s, he advised the same technique;  jam/hammer a large (~16+”) screwdriver right through the middle of the filter.  Of course lots of rags are needed as it gets messy.  But the torque gets applied by the screwdriver on both sides of the filter, and it worked fairly easily;  just messy with oil on driver and hands;  wear disposable gloves.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Eric Wallace

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2018, 06:48:39 PM »
I hammered a long round chisel through the filter about half way down, and still couldn't get any movement of the filter.  I then used Dave's suggestion of chiselling away the lower three quarters of the filter can and used a propane torch to heat the underside of the top of the remaining portion of filter still stuck.  That did the trick, though it still took a tremendous amount of force to get it to rotate the first turn.  (Truth be told, at 70 my arms may not pull like they used to.)  I oiled the replacement o-ring liberally, and tightened the filter 1/2 turn after hand tight.   I don't need to go through the first process aver again.  By the way, the electric pump kit sure makes air purging through the hose and both filters a breeze.  Instant start-up after the pump sounds change clearly indicating the system is full.  For years, prior to the electric pump install, filter replacement meant crank and wait, crank and wait, crank and wait...
Thanks again, Dave!