Author Topic: What is this - the remote for Baggage Door locks?  (Read 2566 times)

Mike Shumack

What is this - the remote for Baggage Door locks?
« on: April 06, 2018, 12:08:40 AM »
This device is under the dash on my '05 Patriot.
What is it?

The only thing I can come up with is that is a remote for the keyless "Baggage Compartment Doors".

Maybe also for the Entry Door, however my coach has the Essex Keypad entry pad too, and that device is on the passenger side behind the magazine rack (it also has a button to press to enter the programing mode).

I happen to have the center dash panels removed (I am getting them "Hydro Dipped") so I can see all the stuff jammed under the dash now.

Gerald Farris

Re: What is this - the remote for Baggage Door locks?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2018, 01:21:23 AM »
Mike,
Here is a Thunder build sheet that list it as part of your Essex keyless entry system.
http://knighttruck.net/uploads/3/4/5/0/34503905/scan0016.pdf

Gerald

Mike Shumack

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2018, 10:54:36 AM »
Thanks.
i did not think to look at my build sheet.

I replaced the Essex Keypad a few months ago. Looking at the Essex wiring diagram sheet that came with the keypad, this device must be the KL550 remote.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 10:56:13 AM by Mike Shumack »

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2018, 04:02:23 PM »
That little red pushbutton is used to reset the keypad passcode. The PB on my coach is behind a small wood panel next to the copilots seat. Guess they're all a little bit different. Essex is still around!
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Mike Shumack

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2018, 07:58:49 PM »
That's what had me confused. I also have the Essex keypad and the wiring is accessed from a panel behind the magazine rack on the co-pilot side - as you noted. I replaced that keypad and there was a "button" in that access panel for programming.

It could be that the "only" control module is that device (picture above) located under the dash and the keypad is just wired to that dash unit. Maybe the only thing in that panel behind the magazine rack is the "button" (just a second button tied back to the dash controller, for convenience of accessing the programing mode).

I never looked that closely inside the panel behind the magazine rack to see if there was a control module in there, or just wiring.

I contacted Essex to see if they had a manual for the KL550 and they sent me a link to another site (AutoLoc who appears to be retailer) - but it doesn't look like the correct manual as the wire colors don't match and there are a different number of wires for each (see the two drawings). So I think the only/best manual is the one for the KE-1704 keypad.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 08:02:14 PM by Mike Shumack »