Author Topic: Emergency patch of leaking plastic surge tank  (Read 5439 times)

Scott Harris

Emergency patch of leaking plastic surge tank
« on: April 11, 2018, 05:21:12 AM »
Hi All,

We are full-time in our 1999 Beaver Patriot Thunder. Cat 3126B engine.
We are in the middle of the desert going from Kingman, AZ to the California coast through the Mojave
Desert. (Hot). We have developed a coolant leak through a pinhole in the (original) plastic surge tank that was spraying coolant all over our toad.  I understand from reading through the forum that the plastic tank is no longer available and BCS has metal tanks for sale, but we are in a hurry to get to the coast (for work).  Is there some emergency fix that can get us to our destination?
Can somebody recommend some sort epoxy patch or aluminum tape that has worked for others in a pinch?

Also, when I do get the metal tank from BCS, what is involved in the installation?  Can you reach everything from through the back of the coach or will I have to go through the engine compartment from under the bed?

Thanks,

Scott Harris

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
Re: Emergency patch of leaking plastic surge tank
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 11:08:50 AM »
Scott
Went through this twice.  Once with our 98 Pat but at that time the tank was replaced OEM.  Second time it was on a 02 Marquis and we got the BAC tank.
When the plastic tanks start going they do so at their own schedule and our first had a slow drip for a long time but the second went and was not drivable.  I put this down to the plastic becoming chaulky and wanting to split open.  Any temp fix would leave this in play and only God knows when it goes.  Perhaps a couple layers of flex tape (the as seen on TV stuff) would cover a pin hole long enough for you to get to your destination.  A good idea might be to go to a 7 lb. radiator cap instead of the 13lb. for a couple days to lighten the pressure in the tank?  A catastrophic loss while traveling could be serious damage.
When we installed the BAC tank they overnighted it to us and it took less than an hour to install all via the rear hatch.  It wasn't cheap for tank or shipping but we never had a problem after.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 11:52:44 AM »
Scott,
There is nothing that I know of that you can apply to the tank to stop the leak. The tank probably has several cracks in it that can open up as the tank expands under pressure. You can plastic weld a patch over the area, but it probably will not last very long because of the heat and pressure, especially if you are still running the original 13 PSI radiator cap. As I have stated on the forum several times before, a 7 PSI cap will extend the life of those plastic tanks greatly.

You can fill the tank and loosen the cap so that it does not hold pressure and drive that way if your coach does not run over 200 degrees, but since I am not sure exactly how your coach is configured, I do not know your operating temperature. You listed your coach as a Patriot Thunder with a 3126. The Thunder came with a C12 that normally runs cool enough to drive without a pressurized system, but the Patriot 3126 usually runs a little hotter, so that may cause an issue. What ever you do, be very careful no to overheat the engine. Just pull over and let it cool down if you see anything above 215.

Gerald     
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 11:54:39 AM by Gerald Farris »

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2018, 01:27:17 PM »
Just curious... how can you see the coolant level using a metal tank?
Fred & Cindy
2002 Beaver Patriot Thunder 455, C12 CAT
Towing 2019 Chevy Equinox, AWD Diesel
South Central Missouri, US Army Retired

William Jordan

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2018, 02:00:04 PM »
The metal tanks have a sight glass. We had our radiator replaced and the tank at the same time via source Enginering designed tank in Coberg Still an expensive tank at over $400

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2018, 05:00:44 PM »
NW RV Supply in Eugene has replacement metal tanks available, similar to Source. Not cheap either way. Monaco in Coburg might have OE tanks (plastic) too. They call themselves REV Group now.
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Frank Bergamo

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2018, 05:14:56 PM »
Scott, PN for OEM plastic tank, http://beaveramb.org/forum/index.php/topic,5602.0.html Any Ford dealer probably will have in stock. Hope this helps.
Frank & Paulette Bergamo
2019-       : 2007 Marquis Topaz IV  C-15 600 HP Allison 4000
2014-2019: 2002 Marquis Emerald C-12 505 HP Allison 4000
2004-2014: 1986 Executive Diplomat 3208 250 HP Allison MT-643
Grand Junction, CO.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2018, 07:07:27 PM »
Scott,
There is a retailer on Amazon who still has some of the plastic Ford surge tanks in stock for $200 with free shipping, if you are interested.
https://www.amazon.com/Ford-F6HZ-8A080-B-TANK-ASY-RADIATOR/dp/B000O07XPQ

Gerald

Scott Harris

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2018, 11:01:01 PM »
Hi Again,

Thanks for all your great comments.  I decided to bite the bullet and I ordered the metal tank from BCS and had them ship it overnight.  We are stuck in Kingman, AZ for a couple of days due to high winds in the desert so I will just take care of it now.

Thanks,

Scott Harris

Scott Harris

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2018, 11:03:31 PM »
ps
I did see that somebody was selling the original plastic tanks through Amazon but reading through the reviews, it seems that many of them are cracking very soon after being put into service.

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2018, 12:20:14 AM »
Scott,
There is nothing that I know of that you can apply to the tank to stop the leak. The tank probably has several cracks in it that can open up as the tank expands under pressure. You can plastic weld a patch over the area, but it probably will not last very long because of the heat and pressure, especially if you are still running the original 13 PSI radiator cap. As I have stated on the forum several times before, a 7 PSI cap will extend the life of those plastic tanks greatly.

You can fill the tank and loosen the cap so that it does not hold pressure and drive that way if your coach does not run over 200 degrees, but since I am not sure exactly how your coach is configured, I do not know your operating temperature. You listed your coach as a Patriot Thunder with a 3126. The Thunder came with a C12 that normally runs cool enough to drive without a pressurized system, but the Patriot 3126 usually runs a little hotter, so that may cause an issue. What ever you do, be very careful no to overheat the engine. Just pull over and let it cool down if you see anything above 215.

Gerald     

Ok I have a C12 and still have the plastic tank with a 13 PSI cap. Also notice a very small amount of coolant on the bottom that appears to have evaporated down to a thick gooey substance.  I am not sure if I have a leak there or what. So, if I put a 7 psi cap on the tank will it begin to run a little hotter and should I be OK with no further leaking?
Fred & Cindy
2002 Beaver Patriot Thunder 455, C12 CAT
Towing 2019 Chevy Equinox, AWD Diesel
South Central Missouri, US Army Retired

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2018, 02:31:03 AM »
Fred,
No guarantees on stopping the seepage but it should help and will reduce the pressure in the tank and resultant stress.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2018, 03:43:58 AM »
Scott, PN for OEM plastic tank, http://beaveramb.org/forum/index.php/topic,5602.0.html Any Ford dealer probably will have in stock. Hope this helps.
Last time we needed one we went to Ford and they searched the entire country for one.  They did find one.  The only one at a Ford dealer in the country.  That was 5 years ago.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Gerald Farris

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2018, 04:40:18 AM »
Fred,
I would say that if you are noticing coolant residue on the bottom of your expansion tank, and the hose connections are not leaking, there is a 99% chance that it has a crack, and going to a 7 PSI cap is not going to fix that crack. You will still have the leak, but it will probably slow down some until the split gets larger, and it will.

Gerald

john brunson

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2018, 10:57:37 PM »
go to your local junkyard and poke around Ford F-600 and F-700 trucks of that vintage.... you might find a F6HZ8A080B surge tank cheap....  dont start out with a known cracked tank.... that 3126 cost too damn much to ruin over a patched plastic tank.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 10:59:27 PM by John Brunson »