Author Topic: Tools  (Read 2157 times)

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
Tools
« on: April 26, 2018, 07:25:35 AM »
So, not wanting to join the broken AH folks I went out and bought a new torque wrench.  Inch pounds and new 1/4 drive socket set all from Harbor freight.  Thats where I went wrong.
The book says 20 to 40 inch pounds.   I set the torque wrench to 30 inch pounds and snugged it down nice and even with no obstructions in the mounting surface.  Guess what?  The new torque wrench never once clicked at 30 pounds.  The casting snapped like a twig.
The moral here is good tools are worth the price.  I know this and still talked myself into Harbor freight.  This was one expensive lesson.
If I didnt already have it I would give myself the Beaver Pelt of Shame.  Lol
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
Re: Tools
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 02:00:21 PM »
Hi Keith try a tekton you can get them at Home Depot or online, I have also been unhappy with many of the Harbor Freight stuff but I do enjoy shopping at them.
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
Re: Tools
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 03:22:51 PM »
So, not wanting to join the broken AH folks I went out and bought a new torque wrench.  Inch pounds and new 1/4 drive socket set all from Harbor freight.  Thats where I went wrong.
The book says 20 to 40 inch pounds.   I set the torque wrench to 30 inch pounds and snugged it down nice and even with no obstructions in the mounting surface.  Guess what?  The new torque wrench never once clicked at 30 pounds.  The casting snapped like a twig.
The moral here is good tools are worth the price.  I know this and still talked myself into Harbor freight.  This was one expensive lesson.
If I didnt already have it I would give myself the Beaver Pelt of Shame.  Lol
I just did my yearly tuneup yesterday. As I was putting it back in I realized that I had given my torque wrench to my son. I didn't want to buy another one so I very carefully used my elbow torque to tighten it down, very slowly at that. It even fired right up which totally shocked me as usually have some kind of issue with everything I touch.
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl