Author Topic: Fresh water compartment leak  (Read 2425 times)

Bill Staley

Fresh water compartment leak
« on: April 23, 2018, 07:16:45 PM »
Have a water leak coming out of the bay where the fresh water tank is located.  Can't find anything leaking.  Concerned it may actually be the tank has developed a crack.  Any ideas on how to examine whats in that compartment?  Or, other ideas?  Thanks.

Gerald Farris

Re: Fresh water compartment leak
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 08:08:52 PM »
Bill,
If you are hooked up to city water, the most common  problem is an overfilled fresh water tank with water running out the overflow/vent pipe. Cut off the city water supply and run the tank down with the pump, if that is the problem, the water leak will stop as soon as you run a few gallons out of the tank.

Assuming that you that you have verified that your leak is from an overfilled fresh water tank, there are two possible problems that can cause the condition. First the red hat valve can be leaking and allowing the city water supply to overfill the tank. Second, the fresh water pump internal check valve can leak, and let the city water supply run through it to overfill the tank.

Gerald

Bill Staley

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 08:55:51 PM »
Gerald,

The problem is that the tank was only about half full. 

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 09:15:30 PM »
I would also suggest that you try to locate the leak if possible. It may not be the tank if you have a bad connection at the Aqua Hot supply I had a pex fitting fail and the water leaked in the same area as the water tank.
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Ted Couch

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2018, 10:13:15 PM »
We are having an issue with fresh water leak, possibly from the tank, but not sure yet. Also, it seems the fresh water pump has quit. I am on the list to get the system checked for leaks next month, but I am wondering if you have a recommendation for a replacement pump. I am looking at the Shurflo 3 gpm 55 psi shut off pressure model. I would sure appreciate any recommendations/opinions regarding this.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2018, 11:58:44 PM »
Ted,
If you are talking about the Shurflo Revolution water pump, it is an economical choice that will give you adiquate service. It has a built-in bypass that reduces the cycling effect at a moderate water flow like when you are showering, but it still has some, and at only 3 GPM it can not handle multiple facets very well.

However, I strongly prefer the Aquajet ARV water pump even though it is twice the price of the Shurflo Revolution. The Aquajet pumps 5.3 GPM, produces 65 PSI, and it is variable speed so the pump runs at the speed necessary to maintain a steady water flow with very good pressure while you are showering. https://www.amazon.com/Remco-55-AQUAJET-ARV-Aquajet-Water/dp/B004RCSLFS

Gerald