Author Topic: roadside assistance/extended warranties/insurance  (Read 3320 times)

Sherry Klumpp

roadside assistance/extended warranties/insurance
« on: May 06, 2018, 03:14:59 AM »
Hi All,

Does anyone have experience with Good Sam for roadside assistance and extended warranty?

Also, with whom do most of you insure your motorhome?  Mine is currently with my auto/house provider.

I have an Easy Care Extended warranty which is good for another year, but if there is a better option, I may see if I can cancel the remainder of the policy.  If there is another company you use, would you please let me know?

My phone experience with extended warranties with Good Sam hasn't been optimal.  They quoted over $3K/year with a $1K deductible.  This sounds really high to me.

Thanks!!

Sherry

2005 Beaver Monterey Bayview Quadslide 34'

Mike Humble

• BAC Member
  • BAC Past President 2014-2018
Re: roadside assistance/extended warranties/insurance
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2018, 03:35:21 AM »
For insurance check out Overland.  The club receives a little revenue.  Their info is in Beaver Tales.  For extended warranty check with Shu at BCS.  We had a policy through them at USA and no problems.  For Roadside many people use Coach Net, but also check out FMCA's program.
Mike
2008 Marquis 45' Cat C-15 600hp

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2018, 03:37:54 AM »
Sherry
For insurance, suggest you contact Ron Jarvie at Overland Insurance Services. They are a club sponsor and specialize in RV insurance. I've been with them for number of years and have been very satisfied. I currently hae Nationwide but they will recommend a company based on your specific situation and needs.
800-677-4027  or  480-994-9584
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Samuel Sperbeck

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2018, 04:26:26 PM »
We have Good Sam road service. When we needed a tow for our bus conversion we called and were told they wouldn't pay for a tow until they sent out a mobile mechanic to see if they could fix the problem. We would have to pay the mechanic's labor and return mileage even if he couldn't help us. We waited for hours for them to find a mechanic, without success. They still wouldn't call a tow truck. We called my brother-in law and he came to our rescue with a 1 ton Dodge diesel 4X4 pickup. He towed us 100 miles to a Detroit Diesel dealer where a new ECM was ordered to fix our engine, which was only running on half the cylinders. The cost of the tow was $500 and Good Sam wouldn't reimburse us. Good Sam Road service is GOOD FOR NOTHING, in my opinion. We will look for an emergency road service that actually provides service, if there is such a thing.
Good luck, Sam

LEAH DRAPER

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2018, 07:06:15 PM »
I will NEVER do business with GOOD SAM INSURANCE/WARRANTY of any kind.  When the parking brake fell off my PThunder and I called them. They lied and said I never called them and would NOT cover any expense related to the issue.  I had been a member paying them for insurance for years.  From that point forward, I decided I would insure my self by saving the money for insurance and when needed be able to use it.  I do have tow insurance with the company that used to be referred by FMCA.  GOOD SAM OR THEIR INSURANCE PROVIDER IS A DISGRACE.

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2018, 08:42:18 PM »
Sherry,
Overland Ins offers a discount with a road side service co (don't remember name) and I've not heard any reports on their level of service.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Mike Humble

• BAC Member
  • BAC Past President 2014-2018
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2018, 03:38:30 AM »
My discounted rate through Overland was CoachNet which I was already using.  Three tows with the car handled promptly and with no hassle.  Good Sam left us hanging the one time we tried.
Mike
2008 Marquis 45' Cat C-15 600hp

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2018, 03:15:56 PM »
Coach net left us stranded on the side of I75 with no help.  I had to find my own help.   I cancelled them. Good Sam has responded to help us twice.  Once we lost air for brakes going down the side of a mountain.  Once when we needed a tow because the road in a CG gave out under us.  There are similar stories about all the roadside assistance companies.  I think it's more a matter of the dispatch crew and the location where you are stuck.
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Robin Goffrier

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2018, 09:35:44 PM »
We have the Family Motor Coach coverage for roadside assistance,towing, medical and the usual other stuff that old people might need away from home.  The extended warranty policy was purchased through Beaver Coach when we bot the rig.  We had purchased the same warranty coverage on our 01 Marquis and traded it back to Beaver with a couple years remaining on the policy. There was a refund paid for the unused portion of the contract.  We purchased the same program on the new to us 08 42 Contessa.  The cost for 5 years  was about $6,500 with a $50 deductible.  Its quite comprehensive and I would not own one of these wonderful monsters without one if available.  I believe it can be purchased if the mileage is under 100,000.  It has been very cost effective in my experience.  Nothing mechanical on our coach has been inexpensive to repair/replace.  One thing to know though, a repair/maintenance person or facility may advertise that they honor extended warranties but many still want immediate payment from you at the time of the repair.  They will call the warranty company and check on the approval and coverage, but you pay and wait for the warranty check.  It sometimes can get sticky.
The following users thanked this post: Keith Moffett

Sherry Klumpp

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2018, 03:08:59 AM »

Hi Everyone!

Before reading everyone's replies, I called Coachnet who works with an Insurance Company called FCIS (Farm-City).  Then I read your posts, and Steve, I took your advice and called Overland.  The two companies use the same insurance group, but Overland had a better rate.  Megan said a number of Beaver owners are insured through them, so I felt good about that!!  I was paying much more through Liberty Mutual and the coverage was half what Overland and FCIS recommended. 

I'm cancelling with Good Sam's.

Thank you!!  As always, this is the best source of information for these coaches.

Sherry

2005 Beaver Monterey Bayview quad-slide

Hal Grimshaw

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2018, 01:17:19 AM »
we've got good sam and aaa.  never been able to get good sam to come out but aaa  (Rv coverage)  has been good but you D0 have to impress on them that it's a BIG rig and the size of a semi.  so far that's worked.
2007 Patriot Thunder
C13