Author Topic: Strange Thing Happened While Driving  (Read 2029 times)

Robin Goffrier

Strange Thing Happened While Driving
« on: May 07, 2018, 09:19:16 PM »
I had my annual coach service done in Bend the other day, you know the usual stuff: Roof air filters, aquahot burner, entry door latch adjusted. When I was driving it back to the storage facility I hear kind of a bang or loud muffled pop which seemed to come from near the bottom of the coach near the right front wheel/tire. Thought maybe something heavy had shifted in a basement storage locker but never could identify anything. Today I took the coach to Peterson Cat about 15 miles away in Redmond to have the transmission fluid changed.  No problems.  On the way back to Bend just as I was leaving the on-ramp and making highway speed the steering wheel started a mild shake, kinda like the rig was out of alignment. It got quickly worse and I was certain I had blown a front tire so I pulled to the shoulder, stopped and checked the tires.  All were fine.  Got back in and pulled back on the highway, slowly increasing my speed.  There it was again, the loud muffled bang or pop but no more vibrations or steering wheel shaking.  I took it easy and drove to Bend RV where I have her serviced.  Jeff crawled around under the front end looking for anything obvious. Nothing out of place. He suspects possibly an air bag malfunction which may have had something to do with the steering shake if the coach was not riding correctly.  Anybody out there ever had a similar experience and if so, what was it?  Thanks.

Robin G

steve zannella

Re: Strange Thing Happened While Driving
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2018, 09:30:13 PM »
I had a similar experience it turned out a left front axle u bolt was lose from a alignment shop using incorrect caster shims. the shim worked lose causing it to slip out.

Scary to think what could have happened.

I get my chassis bolts re-torqued every lube.

Steve