Author Topic: Broken windshield - should I get a new gasket?  (Read 5324 times)

Mike Shumack

Broken windshield - should I get a new gasket?
« on: May 10, 2018, 09:15:15 PM »
My windshield cracked because my leveling did not work properly (which twisted the frame). Fortunately My insurance covers the full replacement cost.
Once I get the leveling fixed, I will schedule the glass replacement.

Should I get a new rubber windshield gasket (assuming one is even available)?

I would have to pay for the gasket myself - but being that my coach is 13 years old, maybe it is the smart thing to do.
I don't see anything wrong with the gasket now, but if it has shrunk or is dried out some it may not be obvious to the casual observer, this would be the time to replace it.

What do you think?
And if you suggest I get one, who has them (BCS)?

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: Broken windshield - should I get a new gasket?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2018, 09:53:05 PM »
I'm trying to remember here, but isn't RV Glass Solutions a well thought of firm for this fix?  Anyways, they have an outlet in Lakeland, FL.  You can give them a call.

RV Glass Solutions:   https://www.rvglassexperts.com/side_windows.html
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Hal Grimshaw

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2018, 10:02:37 PM »

Mine broke in grants pass.   The insurance paid for the gasket since the glass repair shop said it was needed.   They drove us into a loading dock and the job was much easier.  everything at body level.  Make sure they use a ltd of calking.  The original coach window didn't have much and could have caused a lot of leaks.  The new people used 7 or 8 tubes of black calking.  Don't drive for 12 to 18 hours while the calk drys.

good luck
2007 Patriot Thunder
C13

Mike Shumack

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2018, 11:12:04 AM »
My Insurance company uses "Safelight" but said i could use anyone (although they may refuse to pay anything more than Safelight charges). If the RV glass installer comes out and recommends a new gasket, it is covered by insurance - but I think if the guy comes out, and the gasket is "marginal", and doesn't have the gasket with him he will just install the glass (he's not going to want to come back later).

Maybe I should call Safelite and see if they carry a gasket for a Beaver - and call Guardian Glass and see what they have.

On the Guardian website FAQ, they say they done recommend changing the gasket unless absolutely necessary. I can't see the harm in replacing it even if it doesn't need to be (except the wasted money).

Regarding caulking - do you remember what type was used? Was it like a black urethane caulk?
I don't mind calling and asking what products are used and how they are applied to get a feel for the company.
But I doubt the glass guy will use X number of tubes because I say so - that's his job to know how much to use. These guys don't like owners/amateurs standing over them telling them how to do their jobs. :)

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2018, 04:57:43 PM »
These guys don't like owners/amateurs standing over them telling them how to do their jobs. :)

There's an old adage regarding RV (or any mechanical) repairs. "Inspect what you expect."

Then you won't be disappointed after the guy has gone.

We did not have a windshield clause (we do now) in our Beaver policy, and suffered a cracked windshield in the oil fields of North Dakota a few years ago. Since were were paying for the new one, we made sure it had a new gasket. I would recommend it, depending on the age of the old one, regardless of the condition.
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Mike Shumack

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2018, 08:43:29 PM »
Stan, where did you get the gasket?

I'm thinking it would be smart for me to just buy a new gasket and have it ready for the glass installers (assuming the cost of a gasket is not too outrageous).

Do you know how the rubber gasket is glued/caulked in place?

I believe I read on the rv forum that either the gasket is glued to the coach body or the glass is glued to the glasket - but not both. There needs to be some allowance for movement. And (I think) it was said it is better to have the gasket glued to coach body. I want to learn as much as I can about this glass install so I can ask questions and select the best installer/

The term "glued" is probably not correct. I think they use urethane.

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2018, 10:13:36 PM »
You can call Rockford Glass, that's who did mine. 815-226-0560 The are a contractor for RV Glass Solutions. All of the nationwide providers have local contractors. I ordered the windshield from RV Glass Solutions and had it shipped to Rockford Glass, which is 20 miles from home.

I wasn't there when they installed it. I dropped off the coach, and they called me when it was done. I know the new gasket came with the glass. They told me that, because they make sure it's a perfect fit. Our coach has a panoramic windshield, so it was a single gasket.

I'm thinking they will tell you how, and what they used. I know they have a special machine that lifts it in place while the coach is inside the building. 

Here's a picture of the old gasket. It was time, without the big crack in the glass.

Edit: I looked it up. The bill from RV Glass Solutions was $1916.75, including the gasket, installation kit, crating, and freight to Rockford Glass.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 10:24:25 PM by Stan Simpson »
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2018, 11:28:34 PM »
I don’t think you can go wrong with RV Glass Solutions as they are all well-trained and experienced, and as a BAC sponsor there may even be a discount.  They’ll know how to properly install the gasket.  Ours was replaced when the coach was a few months old by Monaco in Harrisburg;  the tech said the factory had not placed the gasket correctly.  Only major sustained twisting of the coach body should crack a properly installed glass and gasket.

As an aside from Mike’s initial question, for years I kept finding an inch of water in the front electrical bay and couldn’t find the entry point.  Then while on a ladder putting up the windshield cover I noticed long splits in the brow, and once and only once there was a leak inside over the steering wheel/dash area.  When postulating to BCS that the brow or gasket needed replacement and was the cause of the leak, they said it couldn’t be, and said it would be a waste of time and money.  Hmmm.  So after experiencing the next winter’s constant bay floods and trying to dry them out incessantly, with no other culprit obvious, I filled the brow cracks with Lexel.

The cover may trap heat on the brow exaggerating its drying out, I dunno.  But the bay floods haven’t been an issue now for years, just minor moisture on the bay carpet from time to time, which stops after I do some Lexel touchups topside.  The rain the brow is supposed to channel aside the windshield, instead methinks gets channeled through the rubber splits down the driver’s side, somehow under the gasket, and down the inside of the post and body, and through a gray, spray-foam packed harness hole into the bay. 

Unfortunately with the electrical components in there it’s the last place you want moisture present in any quantity, and they’ve suffered a bit.  The Smartwheel module for some reason was mounted very low in the bay and water sometimes nearly reached it.  CorrosionX and careful inspection, cleaning, and bulb grease of the large gang pin connectors has prevented any issues.  But the white composite board that everything mounts to swelled and cracked around screws that rusted, so it ain’t pristine anymore.  The CorrosionX keeps it from getting worse.

So for those new to their coach, be aware to occasionally inspect the top of the brow, and check the street side front-most bay after heavy rains.  And go to your local Ace for a clear squeeze tube of Lexel to have handy for most sealing tasks around house and coach.  It’s non-conducive also, and can be used to insulate various types of outdoor wire connections and devices.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Mike Shumack

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2018, 07:57:40 PM »
The Glass Installer (SafeLite assigned by my Insurance Co) says I should not replace the windshield gasket unless its damaged - and that "installing a new gasket may result in stress cracks (pressure from the frame that causes the glass to crack)." However they said a new gasket is $260 (where BCS has the gasket for $450). Not sure if these are the same gaskets.

He also said they glue the gasket to the frame and glue the glass to the gasket (using DOW 428 Primerless glue). However on the forum I read that the glass should not be glued to both places as it needs to be able to flex some form frame twisting. I don't know the source of this advice - but it sounds reasonable.

Does anyone have experience or knowledge on this subject?

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2018, 08:34:26 PM »
Our coach likes to leak rainwater from the upper street side corner of the front windshield.  The reason is when in the process of leveling, the coach flexes enough to push the windshield well to the left (towards that upper street side corner) and when the windshield moves back away from the corner when returning to Travel Mode, the window gasket wants to stay too far over the metal window frame.   So, what I get is a gap between the edge of the glass and the edge of the gasket.  The gap will typically be from near the upper corner and go down about 1.5 to 2 feet... towards the midpoint of the windshield's top to bottom edge.

I can see this happen when sitting in the pilot's seat during the leveling process.  Leslie can see the gap between the gasket and glass from the co-pilot's seat after returning to Travel Mode.  She also gets annoyed by the whistle from the gap while traveling.

I have pushed the gasket back in place several times to close the gap, then tried to Lexel the gasket in place on both sides of the gasket (windshield side and metal frame side).  After pondering this problem more while reading this thread several times, I think I need to glue the windshield to the gasket so the gasket stays attached to the glass and "follows" the windshield when returning to Travel Mode after having been leveled.

Thus, my new and revised opinion (lolol) would be the gasket should be glued to the windshield which would leave the gasket to slide in and out over the metal frame.

Thinking about the physics of the leveling process... the coach is going to get twisted by the leveling process.  The twisting, be it a little or alot, just cannot be avoided.  With the twisting due to leveling, the windshield frame is going to get pulled out of square.  But the windshield cannot be twisted out of square to follow the windshield frame, so the windshield HAS TO BE ALLOWED to float.  So, I ask, where should this float be allowed to occur?  As I indicated, my new and revised opinion is the gasket should be glued to the windshield and allowed to slide (float) on the metal windshield frame.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Roy Warren Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2018, 08:56:01 PM »
I personally know there are at least 2 windshield gaskets installers say will fit our coach.  I had to have our original gasket replaced because on our 2nd windshield, the installer crimped the gasket and it really could not be seen until the windshield was again replaced.    On the gasket sent by the installer recommended by the insurance company, I had numerous problems with leakage.  I had a problem finding a gasket that fit, so I cut off about 1 foot of the old, crimped gasket and sent it to the glass company to find a gasket just like what I sent them.  They couldn't find one, so I called BCS and they ordered the correct gasket.  Because mine had been crimped by an installer of the insurance company, the insurance company paid for the gasket and I do not know the cost, but do know to get the correct gasket or you will have problems.  Also, the installer would not glue the gasket to the coach and would only spot glue the windshield into the gasket.  Thank God, we haven't had a windshield leak for about 8 years. I still carry a piece of my original gasket just to make sure I don't have this problem in the future.
Roy
Roy Warren
2005 Patriot Thunder
Cat C-13

Mike Shumack

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2018, 09:20:20 PM »
BCS said there are at least two windshield gaskets for the Patriot - and they needed to get the "template" (I believe was the word) to make sure they have the correct gasket for me.

Do you still have your piece?
Maybe you can post a photo of it, then I can compare to what is on my coach now. I think we would have the same gaskets since our coaches are same year and model.