Author Topic: Girard Awning 3 cup wind assembly replacement  (Read 8081 times)

Roland DuBree

Girard Awning 3 cup wind assembly replacement
« on: February 26, 2018, 07:12:09 PM »
The low hanging tree branches got me again!  Broke another cup off the Girard awning sensor and they just don't work with just 2 cups.  Back to LaCrosse Technology parts store at 608-785-7939 for another replacement.  They changed the part number to the "WCTX144W Wind Cup Assembly."  Looks like the original I ordered except now black instead of white with the same size hole (1/8" Diameter) in the bottom. So all I should have to do is enlarge the 1/8" or 8/64" hole size to 9/64" and press it down on the spinner shaft. If it does not work I'll let you know, but for $9.95 + $2.00 freight it is well worth a try again.

George H. Wall

Re: Girard Awning 3 cup wind assembly replacement
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 09:07:37 PM »
Roland, Get one of those moss covered hanging baskets, take handle off, paint it the colar of roof, make a ring of silicone cement on roof to fix upside down basket, to act as guard. Mine has been on for over 10 yrs protecting my wind cups!!  Henry

Paulhowell

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2018, 05:27:59 PM »
So does the cup just slide off or is there some type of set screw? I have a broken cup too and the previous owner included a brand new assembly. I haven’t wanted to replace the whole assembly so if I could remove the cup that would be great.

Paul

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2018, 06:54:50 PM »
It has a very small allen head set screw on it. At least on mine it does.
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Gerald Farris

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2018, 07:12:21 PM »
Paul,
Some of the anemometer cups have a set screw, but most of them that I have worked on are glued (heat molded or epoxied) to the shaft. Therefore, I always just replace the assembly. It is a 3 minute job with 2 screws, 2 butt connectors, and a little flow grade sealant.

Gerald 

Paulhowell

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2018, 07:56:08 PM »
Thanks Gerald.

Bob Bulot

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2018, 06:46:15 PM »
Roland, Get one of those moss covered hanging baskets, take handle off, paint it the colar of roof, make a ring of silicone cement on roof to fix upside down basket, to act as guard. Mine has been on for over 10 yrs protecting my wind cups!!  Henry

Great suggestion, George!

Larry C Perdue

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2018, 02:55:55 AM »
Girard quoted $252 for a replacement sensor with a new whirligig. Said the model my 1999 Monterey used was no longer made. Not willing to pay that. Will try Lacrosse fix from above.

Roland DuBree

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2018, 11:31:19 PM »
Just happened to relook at this post.  here is an update: You can buy near exact wind cups from La Crosse Technology 608-769-0265, 2809 Losey Blvd S, La Crosse, WI 54601 under their Part Number WCTX144W.  It is black and very close to same size as original Girard wind cup.  To get Girard cup off just pull it straight up and off with a strong pair of pliers. To install the WCTX144W you must first enlarge the mounting hole full length with a 9/64" drill and then press it down on the splined Girard shaft after a little oil is run down into the Girard.  No glue is needed the unit is held in place by the splined shaft and works fine.  The WCTX1444W cost $9.95 plus $2.00 freight.

Roland DuBree

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2018, 11:55:46 PM »
Gave you the wrong part number again!  The correct Part Number is # WCTX231RW, This on is the near exact match to the Girard The other number works too but it is a much larger diameter assembly. Oh and by the way, I don't think the screw is to lock it to the shaft. I think it might be a balancing screw so I leave it alone.

Bob Bulot

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2018, 03:45:52 PM »
Great suggestion, Roland.  Just ordered this part at (608) 785-7939, which the gentleman at LaCrosse recommends as the best number to use.  Thanks!

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2018, 04:38:44 PM »
Does anyone know if this will work with the Carefree Eclipse power awning that our Monterey has? I'm down to 2 cups, and one of them is only half. If there is a different model for the Carefree ones, let me know, please. I'm going to call that place in La Crosse to see what they say.
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Bob Stone

• BAC Member
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2018, 05:09:11 PM »
Stan, I ordered and installed the La Crosse product as per Roland's suggestion and it works fine on the Carefree Eclipse on my Monterey.

Bob
Bob Stone
'05 Monterey Laguna IV  Cat C-9
The following users thanked this post: Stan Simpson

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2018, 07:14:27 PM »
This forum is awesome! Called La Crosse Technology, spoke to support, and ordered replacement cups. They come in any color you want as long as it's black! (spray paint will work!)

Thanks to all who posted!
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad