Author Topic: online trip router -new  (Read 2776 times)

Tic Wilson

online trip router -new
« on: May 14, 2018, 04:16:01 AM »
May 13, 2018  Perhaps others have already seen this, but I just found http://truckrouter.com/, which is in beta.  It is online software, you have to say you are a truck trailer, but then enter your weight, length, height.  Enter your start, any way-points, and your destination.  This was of value to me as I planned on Cloudcroft, NM.  Hwy 82 out of Cloudcroft towards Alamogordo, NM descends over 5000' in just 16 miles and includes a tunnel.  Whoopee!  So this software provided an alternative route that is truck friendly.  My prior GPS from Rand McNally was supposed to help with this, but I found it to be untrustworthy.
The following users thanked this post: Jim Nichols

Mike Shumack

Re: online trip router -new
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 12:52:20 PM »
Thanks for the tip.
You said your previous GPS program (RandMcNally) was unreliable. What hardware/system did you have?
I use the Rand McNally OverDryve 7 RV. I have not noticed any errors in its guidance (yet).  Is this the system you are referring to?

Tic Wilson

Re: online trip router -new
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 02:01:22 PM »
It is junk now, connector broke inside the body.  But it was a 7 inch intended for RVs.  Examples of routing problems: enroute to Branson, it directed us off the main highway and led us down narrow winding country roads.  Having never been in that area, we did not realize what it was doing to us.  Since then I have used Google maps to confirm a route.  The other time we were headed to the Pacific coast in Oregon and the GPS  kept telling me to U-turn or change route.  I had previously verified the route was big truck passable, so kept going.  We went thru a tunnel and the GPS went bananas telling me I had exceeded a weight limit on a bridge.

We now use a 10" Samsung tablet with GPS chip and an app called Here WeGo.  The tablet allows us to split screen, so we run a 2nd GPS Google Maps.  Google maps appear to work well in larger towns, but out in the country, Here WeGo has fewer problems.