Author Topic: xantrex inverter charger cycling  (Read 2889 times)

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
xantrex inverter charger cycling
« on: May 15, 2018, 05:06:45 PM »
My 2005 PT has a Xantrex 2150 Inverter/charger. NOw that we are on the road, I can see on the RC7 remote display, Aladdin display, and I can hear that the charger is cycling, on (charge) and off about every 15 seconds. Batteries are fully charged. The RC7 display cycles between a blinking charge light (fully charged) and steady charge light (charging). The Aladdin display confirms this by displaying DC charge current from 0 amps (fully charged) to 20+ Amps (charging). Is this rapid charger on/off cycling normal? I can hear the charger hum as it cycles on and off. As far as I know, all is working correctly, but I haven't noticed this rapid cycling before. Any takers??
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Mike Shumack

Re: xantrex inverter charger cycling
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 05:33:07 PM »
When you say "on the road" do you mean while driving the coach you can hear the charger/inverter switching - or do you mean while at the campsite (plugged into Shore power)?

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 10:39:14 PM »
Sorry for the confusion, Mike; On the road means we're not at home, but travelling. You're right, can't hear it while moving, but when parked and plugged into shore power. Just don't know why it cycles so  often. Did you figure out your Fantastic Fan issue?
525 hp C13

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2018, 05:09:44 PM »
Fixed it. I remember Gerald Ferris recommending some time back to unplug the battery temp sensor from the inverter to fix 'weird' charging problems. I did that, and, rebooted the inverter, using a procedure found in the Beaver manual. Fixed! No more charge voltage cycling! The BIRD relay was also clicking in every 5 minutes or so, now no more clicking. So Thanks Gerald!
525 hp C13

jeffprupis

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2018, 09:52:08 PM »
My RS 2000 does that on occasion if I turn something on in the wrong order (or not standing on my left foot LOL) Have you tried resetting the inverter at the inverter itself? That always clears my cycling. Good luck.

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2018, 12:27:07 AM »
Jeff, Yes, I reset the inverter per the Beaver manual: disconnect from shore power, disable gen (if needed), turn off inverter on/off switch, turn off chassis and house batteries. Wait a few minutes, reverse. That took care of the cycling! Now I know. BTW, the reset procedure does not appear in the Xantrex manual.
525 hp C13