Author Topic: Electric fuel pump blowing fuses fix Thanks Dave & Jim  (Read 3129 times)

Steve Funk

Electric fuel pump blowing fuses fix Thanks Dave & Jim
« on: May 26, 2018, 02:04:46 AM »
Just thought I would comment on a problem I had with my fuel system.  My Monterey has a C9 and added the electric fuel pump as many have done.  A problem that I found was the pump was blowing the 10 Amp fuse.  After calling Dave Atherton he new exactly what the problem was.  He had me remove the fuel regulator and take out a small screen, also had me remove the elbow coming out of the head to the return fuel line and remove that screen also.  There was some debris in that screen and all said was causing to much resistance in the return fuel line that would cause the fuse to blow. 

I also spoke to Jim Nichols who too had this same issue after installing the electric fuel pump on his C9.  Jim was very helpful in getting me started on this retrofit.  It did require getting the right fitting as in the process I replaced the plastic Voss fuel line connection fitting.
Also I did find on my engine setup there is a fuel pressure sensor between the engine elbow and fuel pressure regulator that need to be dealt with. Made for a somewhat difficult job due to the tight quarters and lack of length on the return fuel line. 

We are very lucky to have such a great resource in Dave Atherton.  Thank you Dave
This forum and those who contribute are very much appreciated.  Thank you Jim

Steve
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley, Jim Nichols, Stan Simpson, Bob Stone

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
Re: Electric fuel pump blowing fuses fix Thanks Dave & Jim
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2018, 04:55:38 PM »
Gentleman, just wanted to add to Caterpillar fuel pump upgrade. Know some
may question as to why are we removing the fuel screen on the return fuel
Pressure regulator. With the new caterpillar electric fuel pump the constant
fuel flow and correct fuel pressure the 90 micron screen cannot allow the fuel
flow to pass through screen and creating back pressure for diesel fuel leaving
engine. The fuel system at return fuel pressure regulator is now down stream
of injectors and returning to fuel tank in front of motor home. The diesel fuel
is pulled from fuel tank in front and is under suction, passes through fuel/water
filter under suction to fuel transfer pump. At this point at transfer pump the
Fuel is under pressure going to secondary fuel filter ( which is a 2 micron filter )
than into fuel rail on engine injectors operation than exits engine fuel rail to
What is called a return fuel pressure regulator and returns excess fuel to fuel
thank in front. There is not in anyway changing or allowing any fuel fines to
enter your fuel system. Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley