Author Topic: Bi-Directional Isolator  (Read 5713 times)

Paul Schwalen

Bi-Directional Isolator
« on: February 03, 2011, 01:23:33 AM »
 It seems that our Big Boy Battery Isolator Relay is not working like it has in the past. Usually after  we land and hook up to shore power the Invertor charges the house batteries first and then the large solenoid labeled (Big Boy Battery Isolator Relay) gets a signal and closes and proceeds to charge the chassis batteries until either they are fully charged or the house batteries drop in charge due to 12V usage of lights, etc and then the relay opens and the house batteries get the charge.  The BB solenoid is not closing or is not functioning.

My question is how do I analyze the problem to determine what is wrong? The Bi-Directional Isolator Relay by Intellitic has 5 wires to it labeled - Ground, Coach Batt, Ignition, Relay, Genset and the BB Bat Isolator solenoid which is labeled 12.0 VDC Nom,  10.5 VDC min to actuate, Intermitant Duty, Conacts - Continous Current 200 A Max, Intermit Current 1200 A, 30 sec max.

I am not in danger of the chassis batteries falling below 12V since we are using the coach on a regular basis, however we have had this coach for 3 years and became used to the large solenoid slamming in and out after a few hours hooked up to shore  power and now nothing is happening except the house batteries seem to be charging. They presently are around 13.2 V and the chassis is at 12.7 V.

Any thoughts?

Paul
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 05:30:01 AM by 14 »

Bill Sprague

Re: Bi-Directional Isolator
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 03:15:01 PM »
Paul,

The "Big Boy" and "BIRD" are separate components that work together.  I haven't reviewed it for awhile, but when I did I found documents that outline some trouble shooting.  I don't know how to post or display them on this forum.  Instead I emailed them to the addresses you have under your profile.  

Good luck!

Bill

Glenda Farris Co-Admin

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 05:19:36 PM »
These were provided by Bill Sprague.  You can click on them to enlarge and print.

Glenda 8)

Glenda Farris Co-Admin

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 05:25:46 PM »
Also from Bill Sprague

Paul Schwalen

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 06:58:02 PM »
 :) Bill and Glenda

Thanks so much!  I have downloaded the files and feel confident that when I tackle the project I now will be able to analyze it correctly.

We are presently in Brooksville at the SEA Rally and will be home next week.

Paul