Author Topic: oil temp  (Read 5326 times)

hangfire

oil temp
« on: July 23, 2008, 09:47:14 PM »
My 03  Beaver Marquis with Allison 4000 transmission runs about 235 - 241 deg F. after about 2 hrs. driving non stop. temp gets worse in stop and go. Is that a little high?
I lost two radiators already.

Tim Bentley

Re: oil temp
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 05:54:23 PM »
I also own an 03 Marquis and my engine temperature runs between 190 and 198 almost all the time.  If I climb a hill in hot weather it will start to go up slowly.  I usually don't let it get above 210, at that temp I down shift to bring up the rpms which drops the temp almost immediately.
My transmission temp runs just below 200 unless I have been going down hills than it will climb a bit but never over 215.

Your readings of 235 sound high to me,  My coach gives me an engine warning light at about 217 and will start to degrade sometime after that.
Are you reading your temperatures from the aladin system?  The  Analog gauges are not really very accurate.

The radiator or my coach also has a slow leak and I have been running it that way for about 90000 miles.  If it ever needs replacing I'm going to look for a company that will fabricate a steel radiator replacement, I don't trust the original aluminum ones sold by Monaco and the price is now approaching $10,000 for their replacements.  I have been told that I can get a steel radiator installed for under $5000.

Tim
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 05:31:39 PM by 1 »

LarryNCarolynShirk

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008, 10:59:47 PM »
After reading your post, I was confused about the subject.  Are you talking about the transmission temprature?  If you engine reaches 235 degrees, I would expect it to stop operation over 220 degrees.  The trany can sustain higher temperatures for short periods.  Allison can give you the safe ranges for continuous operation and for short period, like uphills.

Larry

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 01:15:11 PM »
Sounds high to me too.  Normal running temps on my Marquis  are 185 F for engine coolant and 179 F for Alison transmission.  I use CAT ELC and Transynd.  On big hills engine temps can reach 200F before I downshift which brings it down to 190 F approx. Transmission may rise to 185F tops.
Temps measured by Silverleaf.

Robert Mathis

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 05:50:37 PM »
I have a 3000 in my Contessa and my tranny temps run between 198 - 202 in normal driving. The highest I ever see are climbing hillside and under long downhills on engine braking are about 205-207. Your temps sound very high to me.

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 06:56:07 PM »
I have not owned my coach for long... but the stats I remember in my 3,500 miles of driving are:

Engine temp - 185 to 196 F    Like I said, I have not put many miles on the coach... and I have not encountered any serious hills yet.  If going over Snoqualmie Pass on I90 from East to West is a serious hill, that would be it.

Tranny temp - 90 to 140 F    It seems to run about 30 to 40 F over the outside temps.  I believe my coach has an added tranny cooler installed.  The details for my coach said, "Additional radiator for transmission for extreme temperatures."
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Andy Clark

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2013, 07:08:16 PM »
Is that oil temp (per the thread title) or engine (coolant temp)? If coolant temp, 235deg is above the shut-down temp limit and the engine should have stopped long before. If oil temp, 235 deg is right at the oxidation temp for dino oil. That is, it's rapidly breaking down. I've only seen oil temps like that in my air-cooled cars, and in those I use synthetic oil as it has a much higher thermal breakdown temp.

I'm assuming it's oil temp you are referring to, and so it sounds to me like a plugged (airflow?)oil cooler.
Andy
Andy Clark
1995 Patriot 37
300HP Cummings 6CTA8.3
Camano Island WA