Author Topic: Upgraded WiFi Connections  (Read 39745 times)

Jeremy Parrett

Re: Upgraded WiFi Connections
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2011, 06:12:15 PM »
Not sure your pricing on the Ranger and the Bullet are correct.  Here is the link to the Ranger antenna
 https://www.wifiranger.com/wfrboost-fixed.   At $249 it is spendy.
The Bullet  https://www.wifiranger.com/productpage-wfrboostmobile even more at $299.
I think my Wave RV omni directional marine antenna is very competitively priced at $169 . It may not be as powerful as it is usb 5 volt driven but it is so much more user friendly......plug and play. When they come out with the router in a month or so for around $240 it will be the ultimate set up.

Edward Buker

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2011, 10:08:14 PM »
Jim,

I am surprised that you are able to get much signal from inside the cabinet at 2.4GHZ. When I installed mine in that way first time around(wanting to hide the unit) I found that it had about the same performance as the laptop internal antenna. When I moved it to the windshield on the little photo tripod there was a vast improvement in signal strength. Good for you if you have been able to hide it and get excellent signal strength. The dash mount with the ethernet cable stored in the dashboard liftable panel takes less than a minute to set up. It gives you a good "sweep of the area" from either side of the dash. When I am done it is compact enough to stow in those small cabinets over the couch on the slide side. Pretty good compromise without going to a roof or ladder mount.

That Lcom antenna has a polorization to it. You will see a H or V on the back of it. You may find, depending on the campground antenna polarization (usually vertical) that one position or the other will have better signal strength. For the most part I just use vertical unless I cannot get a good signal and then I might try H.

The price of the Bullet varies by the power output and I got the higher power one which may explain some of the pricing difference.

I think one other advantage to the Bullet is that it is so compact and well designed to be weatherproof. If you later decide you want to mount it outdoors it will survive quite well.

Later Ed

Joel Weiss

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2011, 02:03:43 AM »
Quote from: Jeremy Parrett
Not sure your pricing on the Ranger and the Bullet are correct.  Here is the link to the Ranger antenna
The Bullet  https://www.wifiranger.com/productpage-wfrboostmobile even more at $299.
I think my Wave RV omni directional marine antenna is very competitively priced at $169 . It may not be as powerful as it is usb 5 volt driven but it is so much more user friendly......plug and play. When they come out with the router in a month or so for around $240 it will be the ultimate set up.

I believe the prices you are quoting include the Wifi Ranger and the Boost.  The price of the WFR Boost Mobile, without a Ranger, is $179 as shown here: https://www.wifiranger.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=43

Gil_Johnson

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2011, 03:29:33 AM »
I had the marine version of the WaveRV and was not impressed.  In some non scientific testing I tested the Wave against a laptop and didn't see much difference. I sold it on eBay.

Just a FYI,

JimDyer

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2011, 01:31:27 PM »
Ed,

I just have a Bullet 2, the same model I use at my motel for our customer Wifi......$39 from L-com plus $9 for the POE. Works outdoors in all weather. But one of the great features is you don't need to put it outside. ;D

I just leave mine vertical since the pattern is better that way.

the dash mount sounds like a good alternative for your coach......on mine there is no dash liftable panel, and the front curtain does a clean sweep of the area it would be mounted, so the cabinet works well for me.

Also, I needed to run power for the POE, the downstream router, and my NAS, which all needed a home within ethernet cable range, so the dash just wasn't a viable answer. Also, we tend to wallypark a lot when travelling, and want to use wifi sometimes without being obvious. All in all, if I wanted more power I'd go to the 5HP, though as you mentioned above more power often = less signal.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 01:39:27 PM by 6669 »

JimDyer

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2011, 01:56:23 PM »
Quote from: Jeremy Parrett

Jeremy, it strikes me that it's dealing with WifiRanger that is spendy.........and anyway, since you already have a D-Link to use as a downstream router, what added value does the WifiRanger bring?  

Why not go to L-com.com get a bullet2, a POE adapter, and they have a special on a 4"x4"x4" 12dB directional antenna at $10 for a total cost of $58, shipping, and whatever you spend to mount it?

George H. Wall

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2011, 07:12:54 PM »
Ed,   Where did you procure, or what is the name of the white standoff mount for your Bullet, pictured in your first thread???     Henry Wall

Edward Buker

« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2011, 05:50:57 AM »
George,

I used a material called Starboard which is a plastic that can be easily worked with woodworking tools. Curves (sabre saw), rounded edges (router), straight cuts(table saw) holes (drill or hole saw). It is available from West Marine as well as other locations. The pieces are fastened together with screws. It is a strong UV stable material used in the marine industry. I keep a few pieces around and use it whenever I do a small outdoor project that I want to last. The material reminds me a little of Corion but it is not as heavy.

Later Ed

George H. Wall

« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2011, 01:44:54 PM »
Ed, THANKS for the info, it is one sharp looking setup!!!    G. Henry Wall

David Burris

« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2011, 01:30:51 AM »
This is a great system and works well.  SIMPLE,  plug into your usb and boost your signal by 50-75%.  I bought this for $39.  I pick up my neighbors 300 yrds from my house.

Give it a try.  

http://www.alfa.com.tw/in/front/bin/ptlist.phtml?Category=105397

Jeff Watt

« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2012, 09:31:31 PM »
I'm thinking of some kind of WiFi upgrade (when I'll do it is another matter) and at least initially I may try an inside set up like Ed has shown, however I am wondering can an antennae be mounted outside (say on the ladder) and then can an antennae cable be run inside to the Bullet? Or does the Bullet need to be physically attached to the antennae? I think it would be good to see the strength meter on the bullet - or does that show up in its set-up window?

Jeff

Joel Weiss

« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2012, 10:10:14 PM »
Jeff-

I'm using a Bullet as part of a WiFi Ranger system.  You can read signal strength either off of the WiFi Ranger control panel or the Bullet's own control screen so you don't need to see the diode display.  I believe it is important to keep the antenna as close to the Bullet as possible; I actually have mine in the MH in the old TV cabinet above the driver.

Joel

Edward Buker

« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2012, 12:12:22 AM »
Jeff,

The beauty of the Bullet is that it is made to be mounted outside, with a small vertical antenna on it. At 2.4GHZ, the antenna needs to be mounted on the Transmitter/Receiver, because the RF line losses are so great. That was the driving force for moving all the electronics into a Bullet type arrangement. If you do a ladder mount and use a vertical antenna, there is no need to see the signal strength LEDs on the unit, given the antenna is omnidirectional and tuning is not involved. The software on the computer will show the signal strength of each available router, when you select one. If I did a windshield arrangement like mine, I would use a directional antenna. If I was using the ladder mount, it would be a small vertical antenna with the Bullet mounted on it. Hope this helps.

Later Ed
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 12:47:59 AM by 14 »

Jeff Watt

« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2012, 05:54:37 PM »
Thanks Ed and Joel.

I think I am understanding it a bit better. Am I understanding it correctly that the power of the POE should be related to the distance the ethernet cable has to run from it to the Bullet, i.e short may be ok with 12/15v but long may need 24v? I am contemplating two possible installs:

1) a system like Ed and Joel have i.e., small directional antennae mounted to the Bullet and then placed inside probably with an Airport Express. This may be the first route as I can play with it while learning.

2) a permanent system with an antennae mounted on the ladder with the ethernet cable going into the bedroom, probably with the POE and airport express mounted in the cabinet below the TV. If this was done, would the signal from the Airport reach the front of the motorhome? I guess doing this system would limit use to only using it when access to 110 (or inverter)?

I have found a supplier in Canada which carries the Bullet at a price of $76 which is similar to US pricing - I think the Bullet M2 HP is the one to use? POE of about $15-20. Also a supplier of an antennae - omni $25.

JimDyer

« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2012, 07:57:14 PM »
Quote from: Jeff Watt
Thanks Ed and Joel.

I think I am understanding it a bit better. Am I understanding it correctly that the power of the POE should be related to the distance the ethernet cable has to run from it to the Bullet, i.e short may be ok with 12/15v but long may need 24v? I am contemplating two possible installs:

1) a system like Ed and Joel have i.e., small directional antennae mounted to the Bullet and then placed inside probably with an Airport Express. This may be the first route as I can play with it while learning.

2) a permanent system with an antennae mounted on the ladder with the ethernet cable going into the bedroom, probably with the POE and airport express mounted in the cabinet below the TV. If this was done, would the signal from the Airport reach the front of the motorhome? I guess doing this system would limit use to only using it when access to 110 (or inverter)?

I have found a supplier in Canada which carries the Bullet at a price of $76 which is similar to US pricing - I think the Bullet M2 HP is the one to use? POE of about $15-20. Also a supplier of an antennae - omni $25.

Jeffrey, the choice of POE voltage is not governed by ethernet cable distance, but by the number of powered devices on the ethernet cable. So, if you put two bullets on the same cable but with aerials pointed in different directions, you would use the 24v adapter.

On pricing,, try L-com.com. I have had good results and paid $39 for my last M2. Their antenas are also well priced. They ship UPS so you'll end up with a brokerage fee ,usually about $20 for the shipment.

On in-rig range I have a Linksys WRT54G2 which has an internal antenna - at home the signal passes through several wood/gyproc walls successfully......mounted in the forward curbside sidewall overhead cabinet I can reach my printer on the counter under the bedroom TV, but my HP tablet has a hard time for anybody lying on the bed, especially if any of the interior doors are closed.

I'd recommend something with a removeable external antenna for your downstream router. If I was buying it would be a second bullet, as with that you could use wireless rather than wired for the Bullet to Bullet link, and probably avoid putting any holes in the rig envelope. I have a Bullet mounted inside my motel lobby that feeds internet wirelessly to an outdoor bullet which in turn feeds internet back inside to the motel rooms..... If you do go that way I'd make sure to secure the Bullet to bullet link so that you don't get hitchikers ( or open up the network when you're connectrd securely through the first Bullet.

I may just try that myself......

(edited to add thoughts on wireless secondary link)